Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a new tattoo (my 3rd) in the very near future. i have had a very life altering event happen to me and want to get a tattoo to signify it. Im going to get a pic of a phoenix with the words "Rise Above"

i have been toying with the idea of haveing the words in latin. i have used many of the online translators and searching on google. i have been getting numerious words/phrases all claiming to be correct.

Does anyone on here know how to translate "rise above" into latin?

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
orior super... or ... orior oriri ortus supernus
what is the difference?

make sure to not go cheap on the artist with as detailed peice as a pheonix is. are you going to do it as a back peice? those look awesome when the artist has alot of room to work!
i was not planning on going cheap, i want it to be dont right (the first time).

it is going to be a rib peice, going from hip to arm pit, wrapping onto my front and wrapping onto my back

·
expert jeep disassembler
8,005 Posts
what is the difference?

i was not planning on going cheap, i want it to be dont right (the first time).

it is going to be a rib peice, going from hip to arm pit, wrapping onto my front and wrapping onto my back

that will look cool. (but painful) i have a 3/4 jap sleeve that is almost done.

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since the Pheonix is a Greek myth, why not Greek text?

άνοδος ανωτέρω
im pretty sure that it started as an egyptian myth and later spread to countries like greece, japan, and china

i wanted to write it in latin because i think the language is very dignified and has a lot of meaning behind it.

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so, thanks to chad, i think i have found my answer.

i beleive i want to use one of these two

-orior oriri ortus supernus

or

-ego semper orior oriri ortus supernus

can anyone tell me if those are in the right context. i want to to state that i will rise above, as in i shall prevail, i will move forward, i will conquor, i will defeat...something along those lines. i basically want to say that the things that happened in my past, im beyond them, im better then them, im gonna move forward and not look back.

thanks for all input so far

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when you go to see the priest be sure to show him a copy of your avitar:naughty:
:sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

i got my ribs done( armpit to hip) and it wasnt that bad.
i dont know if im just making this up, but it seems to me that when a women gets a tattoo in that same place it is a lot more pain then when a man gets one there. none the less, im still worried though, but gonna go through with it no matter what...just need to find out exactly what to write first

·
Registered
764 Posts
:sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

i dont know if im just making this up, but it seems to me that when a women gets a tattoo in that same place it is a lot more pain then when a man gets one there. none the less, im still worried though, but gonna go through with it no matter what...just need to find out exactly what to write first
i was pretty nervous to, but once the guy started it was fine, a few places it was pretty bad. but over all, it looks sweet.

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
im pretty sure that it started as an egyptian myth and later spread to countries like greece, japan, and china

i wanted to write it in latin because i think the language is very dignified and has a lot of meaning behind it.

It is also egyption mith that some tryed flying to the sun and got burned they believed that's where crows came from. little usless info for ya

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.