Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start the flames boys.........................

I have a 98 TJ lifted 6" on 33's and when I drive down the road and hit any type of bump I get a loud banging or clunking noise from the rear of the jeep. It sounds like the tailgate makes the noise but I am not 100% sure.

I am suspicious that it is the tailgate causing the noise as it continually knocks the key lock linkage off. I have uncovered it several times to put it back in working order and even tried adding a locking style push nut on the end to keep it from coming off.

Now you are probably saying if it clunks it must be loose......I have checked every aspect of the tailgate to see if it drops, shakes or seems loose to find absolutely nothing.

I have even crawled under the vehicle and checked everything else that may be loose and found nothing. It is driving me a little crazy that I can't find the cause of this noise.

Is there anyone else who has had a similar rear clunk? and if so what did ya find and more over how did ya get rid of it?

Help PLease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can stand a little flame if it can cure this issue:naughty:

:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I had an annoying klunk/rattle related to the gate I thought, but it just turned out to be the spare was low on air, allowing it to buffet against the mount or something.
Try removing the weight of the tire? I'm running 33s(mud)/32 ATs, but sticking with my 31 Moab/MTR stocker for a spare. A 33 on a stock gate setup is really stressing it.

There is an excellent website, Jeepforum.com that has a lot of traffic and can usually find a cure with nationwide help. Fill in your profile in detail at the site to help everyone out about your rig.

You say you're lifted 6". Is this a 6" suspension lift(short arm) or are you talking 6" of combined lift due to a kit/body lift and tire size?

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
FWIW, did you check to make sure the Trac bar and rear control arms are all bolted tight? The bolts for my rear uppers on my Jeep have the annoying habit of backing off after a few thousand miles no matter what I do, and make a clunk similar to what you're describing.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yes, had this happen before. The T55 striker/bolt that the latch actually latches to on the tub side is probably loose; not enough that trying to wiggle the tailgate manually does it, but enough that being jarred by bumps in the road does.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gotta say thanks again to all of the well learned on this site. I can always count on GL4x4 fo the answers I need. That last one was it to a tee. Thank You Sonic Jay~!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.