Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Nice progress!

Do you have any HP / TQ numbers you're shooting for? Do you plan on having this dyno'd after it's done?
I needed the bench space back so I've been pushing to get the head back on!

The final goal is somewhere north of 400whp and approximately 1000wtq. The highest stock rated 4-53T was 190hp/495tq. I'm trying to keep it semi reliable and not on the bleeding edge. I just refuse to do this much work and end up with a turd. The current injectors in the motor should give around 300whp and 6XX(?)wtq. The military v8 they came out of made 750hp so half of the injectors should give about half the hp right? My friend has a dynojet down in harrison so it absolutely will get put to the test!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Some more progress over the last week or so!

The copper sealing washers for the injector feed/return ports. If anyone ever does a ddec conversion and needs to make their own jumper lines hopefully this helps!

Got all the fuel jumper pipes bent and valve springs installed. Need to machine the jake specific rocker arm bridges so I can put the other side exhaust rockers on. The jake brakes only pop one pair of exhaust valves.

Sadly, my pretty ceramic coated exhaust manifold is not going to work haha. Time to hunt down a different 453T exhaust manifold that sits the turbo lower since I would like to keep my hood.

I needed a remote oil filter adapter so I whipped one up out of a chunk of scrap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm trying to keep the progress train rolling!

I've had to chance to knock out some more things here and there! I need the jake specific exhaust rocker bridges, so lets make some! They're being cut from 4140 and will be sent off for heat treating to get the hardness up.

Instead of using a factory silver series bypass blower, I'm going to do an external bypass circuit to the other side of the block. The bypass blowers have shorter rotors to fit the bypass valve in the same footprint housing. Since the rotors are shorter, they move less air and off boost response is noticeably more sluggish I'm told. We absolutely don't want that, so I'm keeping the original non turbo blower that doesn't have any internal bypass valve. I'm going to use a 3" pressure activated butterfly valve meant to be an exhaust cutout originally. It was ordered off ebay, we'll see how long snail mail from China takes on it. I 3d printed a prototype piece before I screw up any aluminum.

To clear the jakes, I need a taller valve cover than the original. I could cut two stamped steel ones and weld them together to make a tall cover, but what fun is that! I designed a 2 piece o ring sealed cover that I'll mill out on the cnc. I 3d printed a couple pieces to check corner radii and bolt hole locations.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Absolutely awesome work and progress. You are kinda just showing off now.... LOL
:ROFLMAO:

I agree! Your work is impressive!
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Finished the bridges up

Sent them off for heat treating

Installed on a rocker arm

And another 3 pressed and installed

Milled out the bypass housing on sunday

The pressure activated butterfly valve (aka poor mans throttle body)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
My timing gears and front pullies finally came back from balancing at LDS Machine so I thought it was a good excuse to get the motor timed up and bellhousing on! It's finally starting to look like something!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Made a little more progress over the last few months. Goal is to have the motor running on a stand before christmas.

I tried ordering a borg s362sxe, but I apparently ordered it the day before the price increase so I was forced to cancel the order or pay $240 additional for the new wholesale price. I opted to cancel and have borrowed a s361 and a s471 from a friend of mine for mockup and initial testing. It will likely get a pair of VS racing, Forced Performance, or On3 turbos.

I also bent over and ordered the truetrac for the dana 80 rear end that's getting swapped in. Even at wholesale, the damn price went up $70 since last time I looked.

Got a free oil pan, of course it was nasty and needed work.

Since this was originally a front sump pan and a rear sump configuration from DD is basically non existent, I had to make a custom pickup.

I tossed the cork gasket in the trash can and right stuff'ed it on with new SS allen bolts

I picked up a super low mile 6.7 cummins viscous damper to try and incorporate into the build also. These never had a harmonic balancer from the factory. It can only help as I plan on spinning it up well past factory rpms.

·
Gustafson
10,713 Posts
^^^^^^ X2!!

I can't wait to see what this puts down on the dyno. I know it's not going to be 1000hp, but I am looking forward to seeing what your improvements net you.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts