Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
As it's been raining for 3 days straight, I decided it was time to do some personal work in between feeding the cnc.

I needed to get the last flange off of the back side of the Tcase front output shaft to change the bearing and seal hiding in there. There's a special place in hell for the person that did this instead of buying an $8 snap ring. This flange once held a drum style parking brake in a decade long ago, I'm kicking around doing a disk parking brake setup as the original rockwell parts are hilariously expensive.

After an hour with a die grinder and some various carbides, the war was won.

Some elbow grease later,

Camshaft came back from being reground by Colt Cams, it's now a custom grind that should add some breathing room.

Between ebay and rock auto, all the transfer case bearings are on the way! If anyone else ever needs the generic numbers for a T223 they are:
1x - 308 ball bearing
1x - 1828S149 ball bearing with snap ring groove. 6211 is the industry number, but it won't have the snap ring groove.
1x - 3307 ball bearing
1x - 208L ball bearing
2x - 31521 cup
1x - HM89449 cone
1x - 25520 cup
1x - 25821 cup
1x - 25584 cone
1x - 31597 cone
1x - 02476 cone

The cylinder head is over at McDonald auto in Alpena getting machined, t case rebuild will be done as soon as bearings get here, then time to redo the dana 80! Trying to get back on this project and make some things happen!

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,753 Posts
Sorry for the distraction, but what do you do with your cnc? I run one in my garage also. I machine graphite electrodes used to EDM aerospace parts. My current work is going to slow way down possibly leaving me looking for new ideas?

This build is awesome. I am glad to see it get rolling again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Sorry for the distraction, but what do you do with your cnc? I run one in my garage also. I machine graphite electrodes used to EDM aerospace parts. My current work is going to slow way down possibly leaving me looking for new ideas?

This build is awesome. I am glad to see it get rolling again.
Distract away! I machine all sorts of parts for my business and a few private label parts for other companies. Basically all European diesel focused parts. Whitbreadperformance.com is my businesses website. I also have a 4ft faro arm and laser scanner to digitize damn near anything.

Thanks for the kind words! You know how the joke goes, the plumbers pipes always leaks and a carpenters house is never finished!

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,753 Posts
Distract away! I machine all sorts of parts for my business and a few private label parts for other companies. Basically all European diesel focused parts. Whitbreadperformance.com is my businesses website. I also have a 4ft faro arm and laser scanner to digitize damn near anything.

Thanks for the kind words! You know how the joke goes, the plumbers pipes always leaks and a carpenters house is never finished!
So, you could help me if I wanted to reverse engineer something I take it? I would supply a part and you could make a model of it (at a cost obviously)? I may be looking to do that down the road. I have thought about getting into making some of my own products down the road, much like you are doing. Take old designs and tweak them to make them better.

Absolutely. You normally do not want to buy a car from a mechanic.....lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So, you could help me if I wanted to reverse engineer something I take it? I would supply a part and you could make a model of it (at a cost obviously)? I may be looking to do that down the road. I have thought about getting into making some of my own products down the road, much like you are doing. Take old designs and tweak them to make them better.

Absolutely. You normally do not want to buy a car from a mechanic.....lol
Yeah absolutely! I also have both fdm and sla large envelope printers also to make a test part. I'm between Gaylord and Lewiston, not sure where exactly you are, but drop on by!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Bearings showed up so it was time to get to work!

In this case, bearing preload is set by shims between the case and bearing cap. Book says 3-5 thou for input shaft play, but with all the shims I had there was zero play. As rockwell parts aren't falling off trees, it was much easier to take a 5 thou cut out of the bearing cap to create bearing clearance so a measurement could be taken.

5 thou cut out

Anerobic sealant on each side of the multiple thin shims

Removed one 2 thou shim and landed right at 2.5 thou clearance, close enough.

Now onto fixing the damaged snap ring groove. Aluminum bronze rod was very carefully tig brazed to build up the splines that were ground away. Chucked it in the lathe and cut the OD of the new bronze spline ends to match the other side of the groove and then recut the groove to 1/8" wide.

Used some small files to square up the sides of the new bronze splines so the flange would slide on.

Ended up here for today

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Got the beast finished! It will get painted once its in the truck.

Time for more aluminum bronze to build up what had to be ground out due to some dumbassery. Also machined both sides of the parking brake hub true again.

Freeze plug counterbore machined back in

The $4 snap ring that someone was too lazy to previously buy

Sucess!

All the bearings and seals used

Speedo drive was destroyed, so it got treated to an 1/8 npt plug. Planning to use a gps driven speedo for the dash.

All done and ready for parking brake and air shift setup

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
The trailer I ordered back in january finally showed up the last week, just in time to get all kinds of stuff hauled around before winter! It's a 32' Diamond C with hydraulic dove/jacks, 12k disk axles, tandem 17.5s, 12" OC crossmembers, and air ride with lift front axle. It wasn't cheap, but it should be the last big trailer I ever buy.

I immediately sealed/stained the deck to preserve it and wired up a 2 channel Kar-Tech wireless remote system to run the hydraulics and warn 8274. All the rebuild parts showed up this week for the old warn so that will be an evening project for next week.

A few weeks back I managed to snag this Reading steel flat bed for $1100 semi locally to serve as something temporary so I'm not running around bedless anymore. Long term plan is a dumping aluminum flat bed, but this will at least make it look like I didn't steal my own trailer haha.

Setting the bed on the truck, it was clearly too long and looked odd. Cutting 11" out of it was simple enough and it looks much better and the receiver is sticking out slightly as it should. Made up some quick mount plates and pulled it back off for a quick blast/paint. Got the bottom blasted and half painted before running out of daylight today.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts