Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Collecting more oddball parts, I was able to track down a starter drive for my air starter. Figured it was a good night to crack a beer and mess with it. HD starters all run the same mount pattern/ring gear offset, you just change out the pinion gear to match your ring gear. I needed to swap to a 8/10 pitch 12 tooth gear according to the chart from Ingersoll.

New vs old

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
I don't know how I ever missed this thread, awesome work!!!

The 4-53 is going to be badass, but the color you painted it borders on blasphemy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I don't know how I ever missed this thread, awesome work!!!

The 4-53 is going to be badass, but the color you painted it borders on blasphemy!
Thanks for the kind words! There's going to be alot of progress quite quickly in the coming weeks/months. This 454/4 speed combo sucks :sonicjay:.

Nahhh, alpine green doesn't match a silver Chevy. I'm not big on correctness or authenticity when it comes to personal projects. I want this to jump out when the hood is popped!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
My good friend and fellow Detroit enthusiast came out this past weekend from NY for the semi drag races at Onaway. He brought a few goodies with him for my project and assisted in getting the pistons/liners in the block with the oem setup tools.

He had a run of custom flaps made, so naturally I had to buy a set from him.

DDEC 4 8V92 ecm that my friend reflashed to a base file for a 350hp 4 cyl with 3400rpm limter.

Set of 4 dyno tested only injectors from a 550hp 8v92 to get it started on while Exergy builds my big injectors.

DDEC 4-71T engine harness

Since half the reason anyone does a Detroit swap is to have Jake brakes, they're definitely going on. However, I refuse to pay ~$1k/cyl that they sell for. I bought a 3 axis cnc that's due for delivery in the next 2 weeks, so I'm going to make my own set. My friend was kind enough to leave me with one master and one slave to measure up. If they made these things back in the 50's, absolutely no reason they can be re-made today in a cnc.

Lastly, got the pistons/liners assembled and dropped in the engine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
When I was down in detroit for zoobrew last weekend, I stopped by qc coatings and grabbed the cylinder head that's been sitting there for almost a year finally LOL. I guess I really need to get off my ass and get this motor together now!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Got the bed sold today! Going to do an aluminum/steel hydraulic dumping flatbed with a telescopic front cylinder.

I'm going to toss a gooseneck plate on and run bedless just to haul firewood until may-ish. I'm hoping to get motor finished up by then and then start the frame off/repower/suspension side of things.

If anyone trips over a Rockwell airshift 223 case from a duece and a half, let me know!

$150 B&W from an f250 just needed 4 new holes drilled and fits perfectly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Been making some progress on the new Jake brake heads :).

Still a couple operations to go, but the hardest parts are done.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Been using the old girl for work all summer hauling junk, but I've collected a few key parts over the last few weeks. The plan is to tear the truck down and swap it this winter.

12klbs of concrete blocks on friend's trailer

Eaton truetrac for front end

Dana 3.54 gear set for the front 60 that came with the truetrac. Also ordered all bearings/seals/shims/king pins/joints/35 spline outers/yukon locking hubs.

As I don't want a 205 transfer case to be the fuse in my driveline, I hunted for something bigger. I found a Rockwell T223 from a ford F650. That should hold up to my planned uses and already had 1480 yokes on all 3 flanges. Needs a good cleaning and a few seals.

·
Gustafson
10,126 Posts
Nice! I can't wait to see this and the new engine installed in the old girl.

(buddy of mine has the same truck with a 454, love these things)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
So much for the plan of tear down and swap this winter haha. Been too damn busy with customer work and keeping the cnc fed. But, I think I'm finally done collecting obscure used parts for this damn thing. I was going to use the 70hd that's in the truck, but then a Ford dana 80 popped up on fb marketplace for cheap semi locally. More beef is never a bad thing right?

It's an oddball 2008 disk brake axle with 8x6.5 pattern from an e350 ambulance. Not sure what gears/diff are in it, but it's likely 4.10 or higher, so a truetrac and 3.54s will end up in it. What's interesting is that it's actually 2-3" wider than my dually 70hd that's in the truck. So much for internet research haha.

The pile of parts is starting to grow. Settled on a pair of bags for the parallel 4 link setup and picked them up on black friday sale from FindItParts for 30% off retail. Maximum bag weight capacity is ~7200lbs per bag, so that should hold up a tongue heavy gooseneck plus truck weight. I have everything to do the front axle and some other odd parts, need to get everything to do the rear axle now that I've settled on the 80.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm a fan of this build! Nice work. What do you have in mind for bump stops on the rear or do the bags have internal bump stop? On board air I assume. I have an old engine mounted air pump from a BBC if you haven't figured that part out yet I'd be willing to part with. What's the plan for your 454?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I'm a fan of this build! Nice work. What do you have in mind for bump stops on the rear or do the bags have internal bump stop? On board air I assume. I have an old engine mounted air pump from a BBC if you haven't figured that part out yet I'd be willing to part with. What's the plan for your 454?
Thanks! It's getting there slowly but surely! I just ordered a gooseneck for this truck to drag around so I absolutely need to get it done now! I spec'ed out a 32' diamond C with a hydro dove, hydro jacks, air suspension and 17.5 tires in metallic blue.

I purposely picked out bags with an internal bump stop so they are covered. The Detroit has a factory bendix air compressor, so I'm just going to use that.

The 454/465/205 is for sale, I have no use for any of it.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Thanks! It's getting there slowly but surely! I just ordered a gooseneck for this truck to drag around so I absolutely need to get it done now! I spec'ed out a 32' diamond C with a hydro dove, hydro jacks, air suspension and 17.5 tires in metallic blue. I purposely picked out bags with an internal bump stop so they are covered. The Detroit has a factory bendix air compressor, so I'm just going to use that. The 454/564/205 is for sale, I have no use for any of it.
Thanks! It's getting there slowly but surely! I just ordered a gooseneck for this truck to drag around so I absolutely need to get it done now! I spec'ed out a 32' diamond C with a hydro dove, hydro jacks, air suspension and 17.5 tires in metallic blue. I purposely picked out bags with an internal bump stop so they are covered. The Detroit has a factory bendix air compressor, so I'm just going to use that. The 454/564/205 is for sale, I have no use for any of it.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Thanks! It's getting there slowly but surely! I just ordered a gooseneck for this truck to drag around so I absolutely need to get it done now! I spec'ed out a 32' diamond C with a hydro dove, hydro jacks, air suspension and 17.5 tires in metallic blue.

I purposely picked out bags with an internal bump stop so they are covered. The Detroit has a factory bendix air compressor, so I'm just going to use that.

The 454/564/205 is for sale, I have no use for any of it.
Any details on the 454?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Any details on the 454?
It's a bone stock 82 with a professionally rebuilt Quadra jet, new ignition parts, new water pump, new clutch/flywheel, and oil has changed. Truck supposedly had 110k on it when I bought it, it's up to about 114k now. Motor runs great and will spin the rears when empty. There's no exhaust smoke or any funny business. It just has no balls when you put 18klbs behind it LOL.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
It's a bone stock 82 with a professionally rebuilt Quadra jet, new ignition parts, new water pump, new clutch/flywheel, and oil has changed. Truck supposedly had 110k on it when I bought it, it's up to about 114k now. Motor runs great and will spin the rears when empty. There's no exhaust smoke or any funny business. It just has no balls when you put 18klbs behind it LOL.
18k will definitly slow ya down. Thanks for the info.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts