Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Collecting more oddball parts, I was able to track down a starter drive for my air starter. Figured it was a good night to crack a beer and mess with it. HD starters all run the same mount pattern/ring gear offset, you just change out the pinion gear to match your ring gear. I needed to swap to a 8/10 pitch 12 tooth gear according to the chart from Ingersoll.

New vs old

·
N8KVB
4,385 Posts
I don't know how I ever missed this thread, awesome work!!!

The 4-53 is going to be badass, but the color you painted it borders on blasphemy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I don't know how I ever missed this thread, awesome work!!!

The 4-53 is going to be badass, but the color you painted it borders on blasphemy!
Thanks for the kind words! There's going to be alot of progress quite quickly in the coming weeks/months. This 454/4 speed combo sucks :sonicjay:.

Nahhh, alpine green doesn't match a silver Chevy. I'm not big on correctness or authenticity when it comes to personal projects. I want this to jump out when the hood is popped!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
My good friend and fellow Detroit enthusiast came out this past weekend from NY for the semi drag races at Onaway. He brought a few goodies with him for my project and assisted in getting the pistons/liners in the block with the oem setup tools.

He had a run of custom flaps made, so naturally I had to buy a set from him.

DDEC 4 8V92 ecm that my friend reflashed to a base file for a 350hp 4 cyl with 3400rpm limter.

Set of 4 dyno tested only injectors from a 550hp 8v92 to get it started on while Exergy builds my big injectors.

DDEC 4-71T engine harness

Since half the reason anyone does a Detroit swap is to have Jake brakes, they're definitely going on. However, I refuse to pay ~$1k/cyl that they sell for. I bought a 3 axis cnc that's due for delivery in the next 2 weeks, so I'm going to make my own set. My friend was kind enough to leave me with one master and one slave to measure up. If they made these things back in the 50's, absolutely no reason they can be re-made today in a cnc.

Lastly, got the pistons/liners assembled and dropped in the engine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
When I was down in detroit for zoobrew last weekend, I stopped by qc coatings and grabbed the cylinder head that's been sitting there for almost a year finally LOL. I guess I really need to get off my ass and get this motor together now!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Got the bed sold today! Going to do an aluminum/steel hydraulic dumping flatbed with a telescopic front cylinder.

I'm going to toss a gooseneck plate on and run bedless just to haul firewood until may-ish. I'm hoping to get motor finished up by then and then start the frame off/repower/suspension side of things.

If anyone trips over a Rockwell airshift 223 case from a duece and a half, let me know!

$150 B&W from an f250 just needed 4 new holes drilled and fits perfectly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Been making some progress on the new Jake brake heads :).

Still a couple operations to go, but the hardest parts are done.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts