Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Web Wheeling!
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of ditching my rear sway bar. I also do not have one in the front of my 2001 XJ. I've got 4.5" of lift and 32" tires. With the front sway bar removed it still turns corners fine without excess body roll. My question is, would I have too much body roll if I drove it without both front and rear sway bars? And yes this is my DD. Are any of you running a similar set up?

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Why no front sway bar out of curiosity?

I have no rear sway bar on mine and have not had any issues on the road, towing, etc. I did drive around up north a bit with the front disconnected and I can say I won't do that again on the road.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Rear swaybar doesn't do much on or off. It doesn't limit flex much, it doesn't stop body roll much. I'd just remove it for the sake of simplifying things since it doesn't do much of anything back there.

For the front though, that's where you'll have the most noticable difference, I'd want to have a front sway bar if I built my XJ again.

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
I thought I got better flex without the rear sway bar. I made disconnects for the front and forgot to hook them back up one day. I didn't notice until a week or two later and never hooked it up again. I'd leave the front in (disconnected) just in case you notice a lot of roll.

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
mine does not have the rear say bar and i ran it the other day with no front links and it wasnt to bad ... i would at least run with the front (mine is lifted 4.5)

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I run with no rear sway bar and haven't notice a differnce but but some discos for 60 bucks for the front

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I thought I got better flex without the rear sway bar.
You will, but at the cost of stability while towing (if you even do that). Towing usually isn't an issue for most people who build their XJ's. I took my rear sway bar out when my XJ was first lifted 6" and the roll and reduced stability was noticed immediately on the highway when towing an R1 back to Michigan from Florida. The XJ's ass would lean a lot more in turns and swing around with the trailer's movement.

While sway bars are not required for the vehicle to function and the softer ride their removal may yeild is attractive, their complete removal will affect your ability to maneuver in critical situations. I will never completely remove my front because of that. Excessive body roll is not something I need to deal with when I am trying to avoid an accident. Besides, its a technicality that you might get cited (and fucked) for if you get into an accident and roll your vehicle since you intentionally "safety" equipment that the vehicle was designed with. Get/make the more convienient, newer-style discos that you just pull off the big pin and rotate out of the way and use them. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
i have no front or rear sway bars on mine but the body roll on the street is more than i would like for a dd. if you plan on driving much on the street ditch the rear and put the front back on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you can not afford disconnects for the rear that i would suggest using and extention bracket for the rear track bar. It will allow more flex in the rear but still have control when towing and sharp menovering on the road. You can get front sway bar disconnects later for around a houndered buck but they are worth it.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
If you can not afford disconnects for the rear that i would suggest using and extention bracket for the rear track bar. It will allow more flex in the rear but still have control when towing and sharp menovering on the road. You can get front sway bar disconnects later for around a houndered buck but they are worth it.
Cherokees dont have rear trac bars:poke:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts