Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't recommend anyone buy anything from them, ever. They sell you garbage made in China, while not telling you it's made in China, and if you review it, you're not allowed to say it was made in China. I quit ordering parts from them years ago after they screwed me over a few times in a period of a few months, and I was buying thousands of dollars in parts, building my Jeep and my car. Small assembly hardware would be missing, or something would be built wrong, etc. They never wanted to really resolve anything, just wanted me to stop complaining about stuff missing or being broken.

So anyway, they just sent me an email to let me know they're deleting my review posted something like 7 years ago about one of the diff lockers they sell for breaking their "review rules" even though, according to the posted rules, it doesn't break any of them. I guess the manufacturer didn't like so they have to take it down. I didn't say anything bad about it, it was an electronic locker, that for all intents and purposes, isn't actually a locker. It's a limited slip diff, and the solenoid pack squeezes the clutches together so it acts like a locker. You have to put limited slip gear oil in it, like with any other limited slip, or it will be damaged. Then of course, as the clutches wear, it's stops being a locker. That was all I had to say about it, gave it a fair rating, it works well enough, just not a true locker. One thing I didn't mention, you can't buy new clutches for it.

Summit Racing, suck my ass.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1995 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4 1996 F150 4x4 4.9
13,228 Posts
Tampering with reviews by manufacturer/seller should be criminal and have huge fines. They should be able to respond and explain their view below your review, but not delete them.

·
Project Antitube
1,341 Posts
I hardly ever use them anymore. it's been a couple years. I used to order a lot of stuff from them because it'd show up next day. Last few times it took a few days to show up. I deleted all my reviews maybe 5 years ago?

If it's something I know comes in a tamper-proof container I'll probably still buy it from them, but a lot of crap I noticed were returns and people tried real hard to hide it. One time I got a bone stock Oldsmobile water pump when I ordered a Flowkooler Cadillac water pump... and it showed up in a Flowkooler box. Same problem I have with OpticsPlanet. Get a Spikes Tactical forward assist in a V Seven Weapon Systems box. One is a $12 item and one is a $45 item.

I had a similar problem with rockauto. The shipping is so expensive now that I don't buy from them either most of the time.

I was buying from Autozone due to free next day shipping but now they never meet it. So now I buy crap from Amazon if it has free returns. It's a crapshoot if it'll be a gray market/counterfeit/return.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shipping time is usually a result of UPS or FedEx dragging their feet, but I've noticed with a lot of places that my order will sit in "processing" for a couple days until they get to it and finally ship it. I love when I get the shipping confirmation, then the item shows up same day, because it took them 3 days to send the confirmation. Apparently most places still have staffing issues. I don't recall ever receiving used parts, or the complete wrong part. That has happened at Autozone and Oreillys before, but being on spot we can correct it right then and there, or I just don't buy it.

I have noticed McMaster Carr is still really good at getting stuff out. If I get an order in early morning, it will typically ship same day. Depending on depot stock, a lot of times I'll get it next day. If it has to come across country, it might be 2 days, but whatever McMaster is doing, they're still getting stuff done.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,331 Posts
I've never had a single issue from them. With how big they are, I have no doubt they have issues here and there. I've even returned things outside of their return window without issues.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,868 Posts
They've been good all the times I've ordered in the past. What I have noticed more lately, is that they seem to keep very little in stock compared to 5 or 6 years ago. Most things I've searched for recently seem to be special order and a month out.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,690 Posts
I've never had a problem from them nor their partner amateur radio supply house DX Engineering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts