Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if my terminology is off, these are the little spacers that go around the studs atop the steering arms, and held in by a nut. They wedge down and form a super tight setting for the arms.

I have new studs, and new cones, so I don't care if I have to destroy them, but I'd rather not.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,824 Posts
if my terminology is off, these are the little spacers that go around the studs atop the steering arms, and held in by a nut. They wedge down and form a super tight setting for the arms.

I have new studs, and new cones, so I don't care if I have to destroy them, but I'd rather not.
You talking about the ones like the ones on the old GM style axles. I had the same problem you had and hit the end of my steering arm with a 2lb sledge and worked them loose that way. I did it on a 85 suburban but I'm guessing that it would work the same with your application.

·
Premium Member
42,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You talking about the ones like the ones on the old GM style axles. I had the same problem you had and hit the end of my steering arm with a 2lb sledge and worked them loose that way. I did it on a 85 suburban but I'm guessing that it would work the same with your application.
Yeah, I believe my outers are off a 10 bolt. its a little cone with a small slot in it.

I tried hitting on the arm itself, but I don't want to bend it.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Heh, the are called cone washers. These are on a steering arm, yes?

The preferred method is to get a big brass drift punch (For this, I use a 3/4" drift) and smack straight down on the stud with the drift and a BFH. A few hits and they usually pop up loose.

If that doesn't work, I thread the nut on half-way, and get my air chisel. Use a rounded point chisel and hit it with a few bursts.

Toyotas use these on both the steering arms and the locuking hubs. I just had to remove 20 of them to rebuild my front axle last week. I use the chisel for the hub studs and the drift for the steering arms.

Obviously, make sure its alll wire brushed clean and some pb blaster doesn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
If I am not re-using the studs and nuts I usually thread the nut on halfway, weld the nut to the stud, and pull the whole stud out.

If you plan on trying to re-use your studs you will have to hammer all around the arm to break the cone washers loose. Heat works great too.

·
Flat Fender's Forever
125 Posts
Just get a big hammer, say a 3 pound and hit the arm on the side next to each bolt/cone spacer. It will cause the come to pop up and you can pull them apart. I have done at least 10 trucks with this set up and it always works.
Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.