Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if my terminology is off, these are the little spacers that go around the studs atop the steering arms, and held in by a nut. They wedge down and form a super tight setting for the arms.

I have new studs, and new cones, so I don't care if I have to destroy them, but I'd rather not.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,754 Posts
if my terminology is off, these are the little spacers that go around the studs atop the steering arms, and held in by a nut. They wedge down and form a super tight setting for the arms.

I have new studs, and new cones, so I don't care if I have to destroy them, but I'd rather not.
You talking about the ones like the ones on the old GM style axles. I had the same problem you had and hit the end of my steering arm with a 2lb sledge and worked them loose that way. I did it on a 85 suburban but I'm guessing that it would work the same with your application.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You talking about the ones like the ones on the old GM style axles. I had the same problem you had and hit the end of my steering arm with a 2lb sledge and worked them loose that way. I did it on a 85 suburban but I'm guessing that it would work the same with your application.
Yeah, I believe my outers are off a 10 bolt. its a little cone with a small slot in it.

I tried hitting on the arm itself, but I don't want to bend it.

·
Premium Member
5,840 Posts
heat the arm around the bolt and conical washers (cone) and melt wax (like candle wax) into there. that should help free it up

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heat the arm around the bolt and conical washers (cone) and melt wax (like candle wax) into there. that should help free it up
not sure how it works, but it worked! torched the arms nice and warm, melted a candle around the cones, hit it once with the hammer, and off it came. thanks

·
8,046 Posts
not sure how it works, but it worked! torched the arms nice and warm, melted a candle around the cones, hit it once with the hammer, and off it came. thanks
Wax pulls to the heat like sweating copper pipes. Works on rusted threads too.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Heh, the are called cone washers. These are on a steering arm, yes?

The preferred method is to get a big brass drift punch (For this, I use a 3/4" drift) and smack straight down on the stud with the drift and a BFH. A few hits and they usually pop up loose.

If that doesn't work, I thread the nut on half-way, and get my air chisel. Use a rounded point chisel and hit it with a few bursts.

Toyotas use these on both the steering arms and the locuking hubs. I just had to remove 20 of them to rebuild my front axle last week. I use the chisel for the hub studs and the drift for the steering arms.

Obviously, make sure its alll wire brushed clean and some pb blaster doesn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
If I am not re-using the studs and nuts I usually thread the nut on halfway, weld the nut to the stud, and pull the whole stud out.

If you plan on trying to re-use your studs you will have to hammer all around the arm to break the cone washers loose. Heat works great too.

·
Flat Fender's Forever
125 Posts
Just get a big hammer, say a 3 pound and hit the arm on the side next to each bolt/cone spacer. It will cause the come to pop up and you can pull them apart. I have done at least 10 trucks with this set up and it always works.
Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts