Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna say yes, but i've never pulled a TJ 2.5L engine, so i'm not sure.

if i take a 98TJ with a 2.5L engine and manual tranny, and decide to stick a 4.0L in place of the 2.5L, will the tranny bolt up???

or i guess i could just ask if the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same on a 2.5L and a 4.0L. LOL

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i thought about the ax5 factor sometime late last night too. just figured i'd ask. i've never actually had my hands on a jeep with a 2.5L in it, but just thought it would have been weird if they actually put 2 completely different style drivetrains in. guess they did. oh well, i don't like the 2.5L anyways. just seems wrong. 4.0L all the way for me.

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
if you realy want to swap its highly sudjested you get a doner jeep. you need engine trans transfer and alot of the harness from the doner.
most just sell the 2.5 jeep and buy a new one with a 4.0 its just easier

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only reason i asked is because i got a phone call the other day that somebody with a 2.5L had their engine blow up on them. nice hole through the block. since rumor has it that it might be getting towed over here for me to do an engine swap, i was just playing with ideas in my head. i got a 4.0L sitting here and can get my hands on computers and wiring without problem.

as i said above, i've never even seen a jeep with a 2.5L up close, so i have no experience as far as swap/interchangability. but now i know. so i guess if it does show up on my doorstep, then it'll just get fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts