Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stihl FS36 trimmer that I got for free; initially it was not running at all; which was more than likley a carb issue. So I got a rebuild kit and put a new diaphram in it since the old one was worn out and not pulling fuel.

I when I put it back together, I put the diaphragm on, with a gasket on top of that, then the cover plate. My fault that I didn't pay attention to how it came apart, cause I couldn't remember if there was just the diaphragm on there and no gasket or which way.

It runs now, but it only revs up when on choke. It's not that it doesn't run unless on choke, it runs just fine with the choke off, but with the choke off and you give it gas it kinda revs up, but then does nothing; like there's no extra. But with the choke on, even just the slightest, it'll rev up like normal (then quickly die out as I assume it gets flooded).

I'm assuming it's some sort of fuel issue, like it's just not getting enough fuel to run at higher rpm; but what would I look at? Clogged jets? Prior to the initial not running, it run just fine in 2019. Which is why I just assumed the only issue was a junked carb.

Only other change in the carb than a new diaphragm is there's a spring that holds down the needle, I lost the stock spring, and jerry rigged one (had one similar size, but longer than needed, so I cut it shorter to match close-ish). Didn't intentionally change anything else.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also check the screen in the exhaust. They get plugged up and cause all kinds of problems. Mine ran much better once I ripped that screen out!
Thanks! I did do that already; screen was actually still in good shape

just buy a new carb. Most dealers are doing this instead of trying to clean them
I would much rather do that....just can't find one to replace it directly. I'll end up trying to cross reference numbers if I can find them on the current carb. Normally I can just search what I need a carb for and buy a cheap $15 one and be done. I can't find one that's directly listed for an FS36.

yep clean it and give it a new fuel filter
I'll do that for sure.

Along with cleaning the spark arrestor screen, I also tried taking off the fuel cap thinking it wasn't breathing; no change. Weird that it runs more normally with just a bit of choke, obviously means it's a fuel issue, just can't pinpoint what that issue is. As state by RBB...maybe a good clean and change the filter will be the ticket.

·
lets go muddin
85 Posts
I have a Stihl FS36 trimmer that I got for free; initially it was not running at all; which was more than likley a carb issue. So I got a rebuild kit and put a new diaphram in it since the old one was worn out and not pulling fuel.

I when I put it back together, I put the diaphragm on, with a gasket on top of that, then the cover plate. My fault that I didn't pay attention to how it came apart, cause I couldn't remember if there was just the diaphragm on there and no gasket or which way.

It runs now, but it only revs up when on choke. It's not that it doesn't run unless on choke, it runs just fine with the choke off, but with the choke off and you give it gas it kinda revs up, but then does nothing; like there's no extra. But with the choke on, even just the slightest, it'll rev up like normal (then quickly die out as I assume it gets flooded).

I'm assuming it's some sort of fuel issue, like it's just not getting enough fuel to run at higher rpm; but what would I look at? Clogged jets? Prior to the initial not running, it run just fine in 2019. Which is why I just assumed the only issue was a junked carb.

Only other change in the carb than a new diaphragm is there's a spring that holds down the needle, I lost the stock spring, and jerry rigged one (had one similar size, but longer than needed, so I cut it shorter to match close-ish). Didn't intentionally change anything else.

Attachments

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the post!

I actually haven't touched it since the first time; and I almost forgot about it with other summer projects. Looks like I put the diaphragm on the bottom of the gasket, where the exploded view has it on top. Looks like I need to yank it apart swap it over, and give the whole thing a good clean out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts