Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Seems I have a problem that many have encountered in the past, a leaky (from the top where the arm inserts) steering box on my CJ 7. Couple questions...is literature and parts available to rebuild this myself? Or, is there a place in WEST Michigan that does this and if so, what should I expect to pay? Thanks!

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Seal kits are available, but people just never seem to want to bother with it. I think if one of the Michigan off-road shops got up to speed on rebuilding steering boxes, there would be a steady stream of business.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody know what make/model steering box I have (76 CJ - 7)? Anybody have an exploded veiw of the gearbox?

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,722 Posts
jUST REPLACE IT, DONT REBUILD IT. ops caps arew on. Contact DMCJEEP if you own a jeep in the spring lake grand haven area you need to get to know him and I am sure he has a new/used box for ya

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
It is not that hard to rebuild. $33 dollars for the kit. I did it with common hand tools. There is a couple of good write ups out there if you search for them (I had saved them but lost them)

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,722 Posts
It is not that hard to rebuild. $33 dollars for the kit. I did it with common hand tools. There is a couple of good write ups out there if you search for them (I had saved them but lost them)
Ya want to do mine?:chiefwoohaw: :sonicjay:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, already know DMCJeep, His boxxes are leaky. Were the write ups you saw here on GL or elsewhere? I can't seem to find anything. Make/model of my box anyone?

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
I have a sale pending on a leak-free '86 CJ-7 power steering box (100K miles on the vehicle). If anything falls through, I'll let you know. I sold it for $65, BTW.

Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts