Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
As a side note, my son in law (captain in our local FD) has just been deployed to Midland for the next 72 hours. He is part of a national emergency response team who's area of expertise is radio communication. He's the guy in the truck who can connect the local sheriff with the FBI or president or whoever by linking radio frequencies, cell services, etc.
My brother has been there as well, with Mi Task Force. I'm guessing they've been working together. He's sent me some pics, just so sad.

·
Cool parts peddler
1,835 Posts
Here on the west side of Saginaw the worst is over. Tittabawassee river crested at 5 am yesterday about 2' lower than the flood of 1986. Still have most briges closed pending inspection. Family homes spared. Out buildings and workshops got wet. Yes, at one point the water was coming up 3 feet per hour. Many homes and businesses extensively damaged.
I believe that the city of Midland created a bottle neck that slowed the flow and "Flattened the curve" for our area. They got hit hard as well as all the communities upstream from Midland.
Thankfull.
Moved my brother and father back into their homes yesterday, my youngest brother should be able to get to his home today.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
Here on the west side of Saginaw the worst is over. Tittabawassee river crested at 5 am yesterday about 2' lower than the flood of 1986. Still have most briges closed pending inspection. Family homes spared. Out buildings and workshops got wet. Yes, at one point the water was coming up 3 feet per hour. Many homes and businesses extensively damaged.
I believe that the city of Midland created a bottle neck that slowed the flow and "Flattened the curve" for our area. They got hit hard as well as all the communities upstream from Midland.
Thankfull.
Moved my brother and father back into their homes yesterday, my youngest brother should be able to get to his home today.
I am glad to hear you are all ok. What a horrible event.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
My brother has been there as well, with Mi Task Force. I'm guessing they've been working together. He's sent me some pics, just so sad.
He's the radio geek in the command center.

Thankfull.
Good news Dale. Yes, the pics look horrific.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Thankfull.
Glad you guys are safe!

·
Are we there yet?
1,993 Posts
Went into Midland this morning to take some spare sump pumps and generators to friends that I know who are on the northside of Midland that was just on the outskirts of the flood. The amount of damage to so many homes is just unimaginable, and I was only seeing those houses that were not fully impacted.

Water levels in the area that I visited were at the level of most homes first floor. Basements flooded above the ceiling and into the first floor.

The damage out in Sanford, where they were hit the hardest looks as if a hurricane came through. :-(

·
LS Powered
825 Posts
Boyce wanted the property owners to pay to fix the dams. They were given many chances to do the right thing. In 2010 they were forced to build an emergency hardened overflow at the Sanford dam., and were supposed to do the same in Edenville. They drug their feet on the Edenville dam for years. Their permit to produce electricity was revoked because they wouldn’t comply and they pretty much walked away. Some property owners stepped in to form the 4 lakes task force and were in the process to buy the dam and make necessary repairs.
My parents live on Sanford lake and we were pretty fortunate to only have some dock and hoist damage and a missing paddle boat, but in the last couple days as the water level has dropped the banks have started to erode. Now about $40k worth of sea wall has started to move toward the river channel, pulling the bank with it. We’re keeping a close eye on it in hopes it stops before the house gets pulled in too.
My uncle lost everything he had, his house is 3/4 of a mile south of the Edenville dam and he had 6’ of water inside. Luckily the structure is sound but the insurance company is saying there’s nothing they can do.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Boyce wanted the property owners to pay to fix the dams. They were given many chances to do the right thing. In 2010 they were forced to build an emergency hardened overflow at the Sanford dam., and were supposed to do the same in Edenville. They drug their feet on the Edenville dam for years. Their permit to produce electricity was revoked because they wouldn’t comply and they pretty much walked away. Some property owners stepped in to form the 4 lakes task force and were in the process to buy the dam and make necessary repairs.
My parents live on Sanford lake and we were pretty fortunate to only have some dock and hoist damage and a missing paddle boat, but in the last couple days as the water level has dropped the banks have started to erode. Now about $40k worth of sea wall has started to move toward the river channel, pulling the bank with it. We’re keeping a close eye on it in hopes it stops before the house gets pulled in too.
My uncle lost everything he had, his house is 3/4 of a mile south of the Edenville dam and he had 6’ of water inside. Luckily the structure is sound but the insurance company is saying there’s nothing they can do.
Sorry for the family losses but glad everyone is safe. Honestly, there is not much more anyone can say. It sucks. :(

·
2257 Compliant
331 Posts
The damage is unbelievable. Glad everyone is safe.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts