Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading news about dam failures imminent dam failures, hoping that y'all make it out of this situation safely.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
I've seen pictures of Sanford, downtown looked hip deep.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
So according to the news this morning, the Sanford dam did not break. (yet) Hopefully it holds or the amount of water going downstream will be horrendous.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
So according to the news this morning, the Sanford dam did not break. (yet) Hopefully it holds or the amount of water going downstream will be horrendous.
Prayers to all involved in this mess. 2020 sure isn't turning out too well...

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
Prayers to all involved in this mess. 2020 sure isn't turning out too well...
Can you imagine the heartbreak of wanting to visit your cottage for months, finally getting the green light for Memorial day, 4 days before the place floods and then the water washes away and leaves you high and dry for what could be a couple years? And that's a best case scenario for many.

My guess is most folks do not have flood insurance.

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unbelievable that the Rifle River is at 15.6ft near Sterling. Canoes scrape the riverbed in may places from the Maple Ridge Rd bridge to White's Canoe Livery. Crazy pics posted on White's FB page.

Stay safe @sterlingfire

·
Yooper In Training
7,057 Posts
Every article I've found says it failed, but I did come across some that elaborated. The dam itself is still holding but the impoundment failed, so still a tremendous amount of water headed downstream.
https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2020/05/water-is-now-flowing-over-top-of-impoundment-at-sanford-dam-in-midland-county.html

Can you imagine the heartbreak of wanting to visit your cottage for months, finally getting the green light for Memorial day, 4 days before the place floods and then the water washes away and leaves you high and dry for what could be a couple years? And that's a best case scenario for many.

My guess is most folks do not have flood insurance.
Yeah that'd suck big time. An old coworker has a place on one of the Wixom Lake canals. He posted pics from yesterday and they escaped damage by the skin of their teeth. Water peaked within a couple inches of the top of their slab before the Edenville Dam failure. Now their pontoon boat is sitting in the mud where the canal used to be and Wixom Lake is all but gone. Still better than being downstream of the dam, but so much for lake living for those people.

Unbelievable that the Rifle River is at 15.6ft near Sterling. Canoes scrape the riverbed in may places from the Maple Ridge Rd bridge to White's Canoe Livery. Crazy pics posted on White's FB page.

Stay safe @sterlingfire
Before all this shutdown mess we were supposed to be camping at Rifle River Recreation area this weekend. It's probably far enough upstream to still be okayish, but I can't help but wonder if it'd be closed now even without the virus.

·
Yooper In Training
7,057 Posts
Hoping these pics will work.... Edenville Dam and the stream formerly known as Wixom Lake

·
Registered
387 Posts
Man I can not imagine the stress and devastation on those people’s lives. Many probably been outta work dealing with Covid and now this ! Just heart breaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Yooper In Training
7,057 Posts
Wow, crazy images.

Sounds like the dam has been suspect for a while. I wonder what the real story is. Both sides seem to be pointing fingers.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/05/20/edenville-dam-power-license-revoked-failure-reinforce-structure/5226539002/
Clearly Whitmer blew the dam in order to send people to schools for emergency shelter without social distancing in order to increase spread and bump numbers so she can extend her emergency order and push the stay-at-home further into summer. It's a conspiracy, man.:teehee::teehee:

Pretty impressive that the dam structure itself didn't fail but the embankment/impoundment did instead. I guess the feds were right that it needed more spillway capacity. I see some monumental lawsuits in the near future against Boyce Hydro.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I'll be curious to see if it is allowed to be repaired, if not there will be some furious people. DNR/The state wanted those dams removed years ago, and more so when the Edenville dam was cited as unsatisfactory condition and it's license revoked. Michigan has a agenda to remove them all.

They were slated to be updated/upgraded by 2023 and ownership transferred to the Four Lakes Task Force.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
I'll be curious to see if it is allowed to be repaired, if not there will be some furious people. DNR/The state wanted those dams removed years ago, and more so when the Edenville dam was cited as unsatisfactory condition and it's license revoked. Michigan has a agenda to remove them all.

They were slated to be updated/upgraded by 2023 and ownership transferred to the Four Lakes Task Force.
I had this discussion with my wife last night. Tree huggers have been trying for years to remove dams and return the rivers to their natural state. This is a "perfect storm" (pun intended) to start that process. Especially if they can play off of the "see how much devastation is possible downstream?" card. Even if they decide to rebuild the dams, it's gonna be years before the dams are rebuilt and the lake comes back to a normal level.

As a side note, my son in law (captain in our local FD) has just been deployed to Midland for the next 72 hours. He is part of a national emergency response team who's area of expertise is radio communication. He's the guy in the truck who can connect the local sheriff with the FBI or president or whoever by linking radio frequencies, cell services, etc.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I had this discussion with my wife last night. Tree huggers have been trying for years to remove dams and return the rivers to their natural state. This is a "perfect storm" (pun intended) to start that process. Especially if they can play off of the "see how much devastation is possible downstream?" card. Even if they decide to rebuild the dams, it's gonna be years before the dams are rebuilt and the lake comes back to a normal level.

As a side note, my son in law (captain in our local FD) has just been deployed to Midland for the next 72 hours. He is part of a national emergency response team who's area of expertise is radio communication. He's the guy in the truck who can connect the local sheriff with the FBI or president or whoever by linking radio frequencies, cell services, etc.
Exactly, they used that same rationale to remove the Corunna Dam last year, and it was designed to be overtopped. Then when they removed it all they did is poke a hole in it and let it flow anyway :sonicjay:

Thank your son in law for us! He'll be needed for awhile I am sure.

·
Registered
713 Posts

Stay safe @sterlingfire
Thank you sir:beer:
We are good for now. Basement is dry, but i have 2 sump pumps running to keep up. One feeds into a drainage field that is fully saturated. I dug a hole about 10" deep over top of it and water fills it in... the other pump is draining 200' into the woods just to get water away from the house.
More water than i have ever seen.
Somebody's home under water....
The height of the water going under the bridge at White's Canoe. That was Sunday night. It was worse Monday with water actually touching the bridge. Supposedly worse yet today but can not confirm.

Attachments

·
Cool parts peddler
1,835 Posts
We are 30 miles downstream. Water has been rising 3'/hr for the last few hours. Family has homes within 1/4 mile of the Tittabawassee River. Evacuated and waiting for them to fill with water. Shop and our home are miles from the river and high enough to be safe. Praying for those who are losing life's work.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts