Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all over the radio they are talking about the state gov shutting down if they cant figure out a budget or something like that......they also keep saying if u need to get your license and plates renewed to do it now........

so here is the question

my b-day is almost 2 months away.....should i be conserned if they do close down that they will be down that long and are u able to renew this early????

dont know much about the subject

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
If the state government is down do you think the cops will honestly ticket you for a suspended license?

Good luck to the police departments trying to get money from a dormant state government.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my b-day is almost 2 months away.....should i be conserned if they do close down that they will be down that long and are u able to renew this early????
I would renew early or on time anyway because if you're late, they zap you with additional taxes, err, fees for being late. Don't worry, there will always be someone working in the government offices to take your money. That's called essential services.

·
The guy Dale doesn't know
4,182 Posts
If the state government is down do you think the cops will honestly ticket you for a suspended license?

Good luck to the police departments trying to get money from a dormant state government.

they said that public safety and social services will still be up and running...anyways fines for expired plates are revenue.

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
I would like to thank eveyone that put us in this situation by putting the bitch back in office.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
yes clearly its all granholms fault, not the failing auto industry, not the economy in general being in the shitter. Amway could have saved the day for you... get your head out of your ass... this isn't her fault she was handed a run down state several years ago buy your boy engler who ran this state into the ground and bankrupted our schools

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
yes clearly its all granholms fault, not the failing auto industry, not the economy in general being in the shitter. Amway could have saved the day for you... get your head out of your ass... this isn't her fault she was handed a run down state several years ago buy your boy engler who ran this state into the ground and bankrupted our schools
Actually, you are wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion.

If you want to blame anybody, blame the distinguished gentlemen who has been sitting in his seat for 40 plus years, looking down his nose at us through his pompus reading glasses.
He has been selling out this state for Decades, but somehow seems to fly under the radar.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Did you know that Michigan is the only state in the union that has had a negative gross domestic product the last two years??? Every other state is growing while Michigan continues to die. I think it is undeniably the state governments fault for not attracting business with incentives to move here. Instead they continue to try to tax the citizens and business' to cover the failing budget which continues to drive business' and people from the state ultimately lowering tax revenue even further.

Economics 101

republicans

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
I would renew early or on time anyway because if you're late, they zap you with additional taxes, err, fees for being late. Don't worry, there will always be someone working in the government offices to take your money. That's called essential services.
not entirely an accurate statement...

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
they said that public safety and social services will still be up and running...anyways fines for expired plates are revenue.
who are "they"

As for the State, the State Police Forces are but a fraction of the Police presence in this state.

With a budget battle going on, there are millions upon millions of dollars in state shared revenues (reimbursements for sales and other taxes that are distributed to local government agencies based on census records) that no doubt will be held up, and/or delayed.

This in turn has a trickle-down effect of making many local governmental agencies shutter their doors. Sure the local public safety officers may be working on a skeleton crew, but who's processing payroll? How long would you work without pay before starting to use sick leave, or personal days?

There are countless ways that this budget battle impacts services up and down, and across this state...

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
my question is smaller, the gov suppose to shut down on sunday right, which includes state parks, so then will the sand dunes be open sundya cause we have plans to hit the sand one last time this year??????????

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Did you know that Michigan is the only state in the union that has had a negative gross domestic product the last two years??? Every other state is growing while Michigan continues to die. I think it is undeniably the state governments fault for not attracting business with incentives to move here. Instead they continue to try to tax the citizens and business' to cover the failing budget which continues to drive business' and people from the state ultimately lowering tax revenue even further.

Economics 101

republicans
why stop at the two year mark? Engler did in fact bankrupt the state prior to leaving office. In his final year, he expedited the collection of Billions in property taxes by perpetually borrowing a year in advance essentially as he had exhausted literally billions of surpluses that had previously been in the state's rainy day fund.

His brain storm of Proposal A did nothing but convolute, complicate, and make a mess out of property tax administration - as well as providing a further disincentive to investing in Michigan - why on earth would a company wish to build commercial/industrial property in this state, when not only is the real estate subject to an additional 18 mills of property taxes, but so too is the business' personal property tax...

oh sure, local governments can choose to give an abatement, that in turn just puts more of the burden right back on the shoulders of the violently shrinking middle class...

This issue is not one of "The State Government's" fault, or of any single administration, but rather is, and has been systemic for years. While our state may be leading the downfall, our entire Nation is facing an economic implosion here in the coming years that could very easily reach 1930s proportions.

·
Motrcytman's spouse
7,208 Posts
I don't think it will be shut down for 2 months. They'll find a solution before it goes on too long. But that is just my best guess.

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Let's blame Kwame too!

Somebody from his offices came to a jobsite while I was there yesterday in a brand new Navigator on 24's.

(I hope I didn't just compromise another "drug investigation, undercover vehicle" - That's usually his story about the snazzy cars within his Administration) I wanna be a mayor in Detroit, so I can wear big earrings and employ my entire family :woot: Oh yeah, and vacation in Vegas and Cali.

:nana:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
why stop at the two year mark? Engler did in fact bankrupt the state prior to leaving office. In his final year, he expedited the collection of Billions in property taxes by perpetually borrowing a year in advance essentially as he had exhausted literally billions of surpluses that had previously been in the state's rainy day fund.

His brain storm of Proposal A did nothing but convolute, complicate, and make a mess out of property tax administration - as well as providing a further disincentive to investing in Michigan - why on earth would a company wish to build commercial/industrial property in this state, when not only is the real estate subject to an additional 18 mills of property taxes, but so too is the business' personal property tax...

oh sure, local governments can choose to give an abatement, that in turn just puts more of the burden right back on the shoulders of the violently shrinking middle class...

This issue is not one of "The State Government's" fault, or of any single administration, but rather is, and has been systemic for years. While our state may be leading the downfall, our entire Nation is facing an economic implosion here in the coming years that could very easily reach 1930s proportions.

The collect in advance for taxes thing was Granholm's idea and push, not Engler's.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
The collect in advance for taxes thing was Granholm's idea and push, not Engler's.
no, she made a different change. She moved it from the December bill to the July bill... and if I recall correctly that was just last season that it became permanent. I'll have to do some digging for the reference that I was making.

it's recorded in the Oakland county B.O.C. Minutes under a resolution, as Oakland vehemently protested the action.

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts

My belief exactly.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts