Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with these? The locking pin on my one spindle nut is damaged and I need to replace. Always heard of these Stage 8 nuts and it seems super easy to install....just expensive at around $70 a side. Worth it? Keep stock?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,459 Posts
LOL. I've not had much experience with them. I witnessed a set cross thread (not mine) and we had a bitch of a time getting them apart on a trail fix. Had to do a bunch of filing and die grinding to get them to work. But that could have been a result of other issues. Personally, I've never had a problem with the OEM lock nuts.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,438 Posts
From what I recall of the design, it doesn't seem like cross thread would be any more of a risk with stage 8 than factory stuff. From what I recall the spindle nut was thicker than factory since there was only one.

The pin design from factory was much easier to work with than the folded tab version. I seemed to always get the tab version, and at some point the tabs would break off.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never had issues with the stock pin style in the 44 with years of use. Since the pin on one of the nuts was damaged on the 60, I figure it may be worth to upgrade if it really was solving an issue.

I busted out the tig welder and welded a pin back in. After some grinding with a carbide burr, it fits and looks like factory!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts