Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a terrible squeak coming from what sounds like my rear d-shaft. would they squeak if they got too hot from welding the d-shaft? i'm sure the answer is yes, but just wanted to get an opinion before i go spend some $$$.

·
I was born in the desert
1,719 Posts
Starts with a squeak and ends with a bang if you don't spend 15.00-20.00 on a new one. What were you welding the shaft for??

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had to shorten the d-shaft. just wasn't sure if it was the u-joint squeaking or what, never heard one squeak before. looks like i'll be changing that this week.

·
8,046 Posts
When you change it out you may find it to be dry, add some greese and you gotz a trail spare.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that was the plan :thumb: sucks though, just bought it a couple of weeks ago, and i even added more grease after welding the shaft back together. :tonka:

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Do you have a CV style driveshaft anywhere? Those squeak bretty bad before they self destruct. On Jeeps, it's usually the front shaft causing problems.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the rear is a double cardan shaft. i was going to drive it w/ only the front in just to be sure it wasn't the rear before i take it all apart tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts