Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone on the site spray in foam insulation for a living, or even on the side?

im looking to have a 28x16 garage foamed. i dont have the square footage yet, but id like to support anyone here who does this.

has anyone had good luck with any specific company around the TC area?

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,926 Posts
He is probably interested in spray in ________ (whatever works good). I am interested in this stuff also, should work great.

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im looking to add some rigidity. it is somewhere between 75-100 yrs old. we jacked it up, put it on a gooseneck, and moved it about 500 ft. i poured a footing, layed up 4 courses of block, poured a slab, and set the garage on top. it has a pretty good lean to it and i would like to help out its stability some. its also hard to use much else, since the studs are 36" on center and have horizontal braces all over the place at odd heights.

i would like a closed cell foam, but i forget what that type is called. i have a co-worker who does it in alaska, but he is a bit far away, lol.

if i could get closed cell foam, i can get away with not using a vapor barrier, which would be a major PITA to use.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I just had my exterior walls and attic done by Retro Foam of Michigan. Total bill was about $4,300. The house is quieter and furnace runs half as much as it did before. It was worth every penny.
Wow $4300! Even if your gas bill went from $150 to $50 per month you would take you almost 4 years to pay you back. I wounder how much your bill did drop. Did you compare it to last years?

·
<3's Ridin' Dirty
2,868 Posts
Wow $4300! Even if your gas bill went from $150 to $50 per month you would take you almost 4 years to pay you back. I wounder how much your bill did drop. Did you compare it to last years?
I would consider 4 years to be a pretty quick return on investment for something like this. I would also take into account that the house is a lot more quiet....that alone could be worth the money.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
I would consider 4 years to be a pretty quick return on investment for something like this. I would also take into account that the house is a lot more quiet....that alone could be worth the money.
x2, especially if you plan on living their for a long time. If it's just a temporary house until a nicer one can be afforded then no but I don't think someone would spend the kind of coin unless the planned to stay for a while.

·
Northwest Ohio Crawlers
248 Posts
That bill was probably for an upgrade. I have heard of bills that high to have an old house upgraded with blown in.

A buddy's son was partners with a guy doing it,and my step sister's ex husband does it. But he is in OH. I have seen how its done. It doesn't even compare to fiberglass or foam sheets. The stuff seals as it insulates (no drafts) you don't have to fight around odd shapes electrical components. I had a small building at work done with it, they had a skin coat option to seal it to make it more durable so it could be left exposed. The one downside to it is that once it is there making any changes (elec/water etc.) inside the walls becomes more difficult. At work we ran our electrical in conduit. We up sized the Dia to leave room for possible changes in the future. I will use it if I ever build a new shop or house.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
No not yet. The house is a 1000 sq ft. I had a new 95% eff. furnace put in Feb and my highest gas bill was still $168. With the furnace it only went down maybe $15 but I could never tell. I'll compare this Feb with last years. I noticed a difference the day they put it in because I had no cold spots anywhere in the house and even sitting next to the window I felt warmer.

So worth it

·
Registered
441 Posts
had an estimate of 2500 to do just the ceiling in my garage. 36 X 36 this was a couple of years ago though.

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
525 Posts
We have the machine and all the equipment to do the spray foam. My father bought it when we were building a storage facility and I've done a few other jobs with it. Usually cost is about 1$ per square foot per inch depending on how much cleanup and shaving is required. It does strengthen the structure, one house they had to remove some sheeting and even after removing all the foam it was still adhered by the foam between the stud and the osb. Most of the DIY setups will not produce the results you are looking for, I have used them for small touch-up / repair jobs where hauling the rig out isn't worth it. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
TGW SUPER STAR
147 Posts
So did any one recomend a good company on here yet, I have called 6 dfferant companies to come out, give me a quote and.....................still waiting for them to come out, I have cash in hand need a professional spray foam company to come out and do my basement.............

Luke Mud Walker
866-787-0629

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.