Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my mother in laws 2001 Impala and the speedometer started acting up. It starts out working fine and after driving for a little while it starts acting up. You will be driving along at less say 55mph and you slow way down it might stay at 45mph when you know you are doing about 20mph so when you speed up to the speed of traffic (about 55mph) the speedo will say 75mph. So as you drive down the highway as you slow down and speed up in traffic . The next thing you know the speedo says 120mph and people are flying past me. To get it back to zero at a complete stop I have to keep turning the car on and off each time the speedo will drop 10mph with each restart.

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
either the instrument cluster is messed up or you have a problem with the body control module. i'd take it to a dealer and let them mess with it. probably be faster then messing with it yourself

·
I like trees
5,795 Posts
Cluster

·
Registered
851 Posts
cluster or vehicle speed sensor, worked at a dealer for about a year, and replaced cluster, as is the most common problem, just to find a simple vss was the whole problem! check with the dealer and your vin, possibly a bulletin or even a recall! good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts