Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tearing apart my AC lines today under the hood. Any special tools needed to do so or to put the new lines in?

thanks.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Vehicle? Newer things need special disconnect tools to get them apart. You also need a vacuum pump to evacuate all the air and moisture out of the system prior to recharging the system. You can't just replace a line and recharge it.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vehicle might help eh? 97 XJ. Lines are all empty and have been for quite some time as they were sliced up from an accident years ago.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fine. will get lines evacuated properly by a professional so as not to burn another small hole in the ozone layer. After that is said and done what tools might be needed to pull the system apart?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
fine. will get lines evacuated properly by a professional so as not to burn another small hole in the ozone layer.
That's not what we're saying. You said that the system is already "empty", meaning the chemicals have already leaked out and the system is vented to the atmosphere. However, its not actually "empty". There is air and amospheric moisture still in there now and there still will be after you change the lines. The system has to be brought to a vacuum state with nothing in it prior to charging. All that natural air and moisture has to be removed first, if that makes it more clear. If you have no way to evacuate the system, you can finish the line installation, but you can't completely finish the job.

As for tools - just go look at the fittings first.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plan is for me to change the lines which are leaking. After that is done I do plan to take it to a shop to refill/ evacuate/ whatever is needed for the process. Here's pics of what is all being replaced. It looks as if I can just press everything together by hand, but wasn't sure...

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Like PP is trying to tell you, the system needs to be evacuated before charging. That means a vacuum pump must be hooked to the system to draw out any "non-condensable" or inert vaports (and, most inportantly moisture) and then if done properly micron readings taken to be sure an acceptable level of vacuum is achieved (this is a good indicator how much moisture has been drawn out).

That is why there are trained profesionals for this type of stuff, so don't get all upset, we are just trying to help.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like PP is trying to tell you, the system needs to be evacuated before charging. That means a vacuum pump must be hooked to the system to draw out any "non-condensable" or inert vaports (and, most inportantly moisture) and then if done properly micron readings taken to be sure an acceptable level of vacuum is achieved (this is a good indicator how much moisture has been drawn out).

That is why there are trained profesionals for this type of stuff, so don't get all upset, we are just trying to help.

it's all good. no one upset over here. This whole job has always been planned to have the "professionals" do the finishing work. still wondering about any tools needed though or if I can just press everything together by hand. :confused:

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
those lock on when you push them together. If you are taking the old ones apart, you need a set of plastic fitting removal tools. The set is like 15 bucks. They fit over the line and push up inside to spread open a snap ring type fitting so the lines will pull apart.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those lock on when you push them together. If you are taking the old ones apart, you need a set of plastic fitting removal tools. The set is like 15 bucks. They fit over the line and push up inside to spread open a snap ring type fitting so the lines will pull apart.

Thanks! good to know :thumb:

·
Praise the lowered
2,962 Posts
once you get it together,pressure test it with nitrogen first,don't use air,don't waste you're cash on freon until you're sure it's tight.If you need help pm me I've got the stuff to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts