Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Desert Rat
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let hear you tales of dealing with the states license and registration schemes.
I‘lol start.

I got my renewal docs. For the past week, I have been trying to renew online. It won’t let me complete any transaction, and gives me “try back later message”.
I’ve got until December, so not urgent. BUT, I have other business requiring a face to face.
I start with my registration woes. As she is completino, I tell Her my woes of trying online. She tells me it was because of my handicap plates, I need to do the transaction in person. I assured her the regeneration of my leg is taking longer than I had hoped. She didn’t see the humor.
So, to be clear, I could have completed it online, but because I have disabilly plates, I had to do it in person.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,551 Posts
I did license and tabs online. Last time I went in person was for my daughter's 16th birthday. We had appointment and waited as long as in the old days of no appointments.

I like their logic on disability plates. What's next? Obstacle course to prove disability?

·
Desert Rat
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted too soon. I had to go back. I forgot my handicap placard for renewal/replacement.
Two clerks, no customers. I walk in and stand until they finish their solitaire game and call my name. Clerk, finishing my trailer title. During that a gal walks in and asks to German girl if she’s waiting. She replied no, she is with me. So she asks the other clerk if they could do a walk in.
”Nope, we are all booked up”. The girl looks around and out to the parking lot and says “THERES NOBODY HERE!”
“Sorry ma’am, all of todays appointments are full, you will have to book an appointment online”
My clerk finishes my title and says she cannot renew the placard because it’s expired. I’ll need to go to the doctor and reapply. We discussed it further and the other clerk came over and fixed it. No other customers came in.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,849 Posts
I posted too soon. I had to go back. I forgot my handicap placard for renewal/replacement.
Two clerks, no customers. I walk in and stand until they finish their solitaire game and call my name. Clerk, finishing my trailer title. During that a gal walks in and asks to German girl if she’s waiting. She replied no, she is with me. So she asks the other clerk if they could do a walk in.
”Nope, we are all booked up”. The girl looks around and out to the parking lot and says “THERES NOBODY HERE!”
“Sorry ma’am, all of todays appointments are full, you will have to book an appointment online”
My clerk finishes my title and says she cannot renew the placard because it’s expired. I’ll need to go to the doctor and reapply. We discussed it further and the other clerk came over and fixed it. No other customers came in.
It says that the appointments are full.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,726 Posts
They gave the sos employees the power to be way less productive. Hoorey for covid.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,849 Posts
I can't complain about the SOS here, i've been pretty lucky. Plus when I'm there they're actually pretty helpful.

They did several walk-ins while I was there, A couple were returns, and were actual walk-ins. I noticed that the only time they did walk-ins was when the person was actually nice and respectful (not saying that lady wasn't in the story).

·
Cup holders & Rollbars
571 Posts
We have had good luck with online renewals.
The wife renewed her Drivers License online and she loved it because they used the 4 year old pic of her.
My issue is we have been pulled over twice in the last month for expired tags. Our tags were current. But officer were confused because we have 2023 tags (orange). Officers expect to see yellow tags for 2022. The last time was last weekend on east end of Drummond Island by a CO. I don't understand when I see multiple cars on the road each day without even a plate on the car.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,796 Posts
This thread reminded me that I needed to order my new tags. I did mine online. No problems.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,180 Posts
I've been fortunate to not have reason to go inside for anything. I've either done it online or at a self-serve kiosk the past few years. That is totally f'ed up that they make handicapped people go in to renew.

·
Project Antitube
1,054 Posts
I bought a boat this year and never went to the Secretary of Distaste to get it switched over. I should do something about that. I'm sure it's just some other fucking stupid ass fee I'll have to pay.

I have a bunch of missing titles also. There was this period when I was financing shit and the bank would hold the title. Then they later switched to not giving a paper title so now I have no title, just a lien release paper. So irritating.

The pandemic took our local SoS office from being a decent place to go, to the most miserable interaction I can have with any entity. I'm not the only one that noticed this.

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,463 Posts
I would buy a car on a Saturday or Sunday, have it titled in my name Monday morning before noon and within a week have it sold or down to the frame rails.

During the pademic I bought a 78 F150 just for the 9" that is "free" at this point. The thing sat for almost 3 months with me doing nothing to it. I never tear down or put money into something until that title is in my name.

Now the wait time is down to a week or two tops. But it is still not as good as going in the next business day.

I am going in next Monday to put plates on a 91 s10 stupid simple cheap driver and that should be the last time I make a appoinment this year.

Just be glad your not trying to do a "STAKE" truck. I have a 89 R30 (squarebody) sitting in the barn I bought 2 months ago to be a backup tow pig in the summer.
I orgionally bought it as a winter beater/backup tow pig.
The 8x10' flatbed just barley fits in the garage door and I know I will slide the rear into the door one ice covered day. So I bought a small winter beater with everything 1/2 the cost of the R30. The R30 will fit in the big bay once the modified 94 s10 money pit is done with its first stage.

My last "stake" was a 84 c30 and with a 8x12' and I played heck getting it insured. I eventually went through progressive commercial despite telling them and others it was only for personal use.
When I got to the state office I had only a few more hoops left to jump through.

But nothing compared to the 89. Its not in any books and the vin was no help(parts are fun to buy) . So I need to weigh the thing. I have a quick title so the vin is clean. But the old title never had a weight on it(MI sos fail) so I need to drive the thing to a scale(way to heavy for my car hauler). Luckly I have one within 3 miles.

Back to buttoning up the 91 s10.

·
Desert Rat
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would still be trying to register online IF I didn’t need to title a trailer. It gave no indication the problem was on my end.

Some years ago, I needed the transfer something and I was headed to PoHo SoS. A friend mentioned a new office opened in Romeo, so off I went. I walk the front and there was not a single customer there. Just five clerks at their stations with blank stares like I walked in on a robbery or something. I was in and out in ten minutes.

The last time I was there I made an appointment for 3 o’clock. I got there a little before and the place was packed, standing room only. Shortly after we got there they locked the doors saying those inside will be served by appointment and place in line.
I told the German girl, let’s bail and try Sandusky, we can be there in thirty minutes.
As hoped, Sandusky SoS was empty, we were in and out in ten minutes, and finished the day with a pizza at Lexington.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,062 Posts
I would still be trying to register online IF I didn’t need to title a trailer. It gave no indication the problem was on my end.

Some years ago, I needed the transfer something and I was headed to PoHo SoS. A friend mentioned a new office opened in Romeo, so off I went. I walk the front and there was not a single customer there. Just five clerks at their stations with blank stares like I walked in on a robbery or something. I was in and out in ten minutes.

The last time I was there I made an appointment for 3 o’clock. I got there a little before and the place was packed, standing room only. Shortly after we got there they locked the doors saying those inside will be served by appointment and place in line.
I told the German girl, let’s bail and try Sandusky, we can be there in thirty minutes.
As hoped, Sandusky SoS was empty, we were in and out in ten minutes, and finished the day with a pizza at Lexington.
Damn out of towers using my SOS LOL, Romeo used to be awesome, in and out in under 30 minutes, no questioning how much you paid etc. A couple years ago that changed, not sure why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts