Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vizio 55" that is about 7 years old and has already been repaired once. It's overheating and turning off. It looks like I'll need to replace it soon when it finally dies completely. I'm tempted to repair it again, but the prices on the new ones are about what I paid to repair it last time (I'd attempt it myself this time though)

What recommendations would you guys have these days? It is a 55" mounted high in the corner of my living room.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Samsung has been my go to, works well with my Galaxy phone and I can display my screen on to the TV when needed. Has all the apps and what not as well. Been happy with it so far

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
we have a samsung 50" and just picked up a Vizio 50" for my grandpa; both are great TVs.

Most name brand TVs are going to be the same; I would definitely stay away from anything that's not a Sony, Vizio, Samsung, or LG. No emerson, Hisense, element, panasonic...etc. Junk TVs in my experience; speaking from about 8 years of satellite and cable TV work.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have a samsung 50" and just picked up a Vizio 50" for my grandpa; both are great TVs.

Most name brand TVs are going to be the same; I would definitely stay away from anything that's not a Sony, Vizio, Samsung, or LG. No emerson, Hisense, element, panasonic...etc. Junk TVs in my experience; speaking from about 8 years of satellite and cable TV work.
I won't buy another Vizio after having two. I have a 15 year old Sony flatscreen. The 7 year old Vizio power supply failed after 2.5 years, now 3.5 years later it has failed again.

My 70" Vizio in my basement also acts up once in awhile, and seems to be power supply related. That TV has not had near as much use though.

Looking at Samsung, Sony, LG, Toshiba so far...

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
I won't buy another Vizio after having two. I have a 15 year old Sony flatscreen. The 7 year old Vizio power supply failed after 2.5 years, now 3.5 years later it has failed again.

My 70" Vizio in my basement also acts up once in awhile, and seems to be power supply related. That TV has not had near as much use though.

Yea...wife and I had good luck with the Vizio's we had. we upgraded from a 40" one, which is still used and it's about 8 years old. I like them, but some people have had nothing but bad luck with them.

F toshiba too, IMO.

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,119 Posts

X2, every Vizio i have owned (3) have been junk. I have a 12 year old Samsung that refuses to die. I had a 42" on my covered patio that was exposed to the elements for three years that just died but i cant remember the brand. It was mounted on the drip edge side of the patio cover so when it rained and the wind blew it would routinely be soaked with water. I considered it disposable at $150 +- but it put up a good fight haha. :sonicjay:

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
I second that 12 year old Samsung. We have a 40" in our bedroom that was in our living room for years, it's a awesome TV and I like the built in auto dimming feature for low light late night viewing. I also have a Sony Bravia 4k 55" in my living room and that has been a phenomenal TV as well.

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,119 Posts
I second that 12 year old Samsung. We have a 40" in our bedroom that was in our living room for years, it's a awesome TV and I like the built in auto dimming feature for low light late night viewing. I also have a Sony Bravia 4k 55" in my living room and that has been a phenomenal TV as well.
And the old plasma's put out enough heat to warm up any bedroom. :sonicjay:

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Just picked up a 55 samsung at a great price. We have another we've had for 6 years and a vizio for about 10 years. 2 of the 4 hdmi ports have burned out rather quickly but its been a good tv. Samsung seems to be the best so far.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
I have a 65" Sony Bravia 4k or whatever. Honestly, it's been a PITA when the power goes out. I have to unplug it to reset it. It also will not connect with my Iphone via bluetooth.

On the other hand, I have a 52" Sony in my garage that is 10 years old and works awesome.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,540 Posts
I've owned LG for years, just bought another one prior to football season last year. App and phone connectivity, connects to Google Home, great tv except for spindly-looking legs.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
I've owned LG for years, just bought another one prior to football season last year. App and phone connectivity, connects to Google Home, great tv except for spindly-looking legs.
We have an LG that's about 4-5 years old. I wouldn't buy another one. The Smart Hub is so slow that it's barely usable. I gave up on it and hooked a Roku to the TV. It's had some other quirks too, although it still has a good picture.

·
N8KVB
4,386 Posts
I've only got one tv and its a 10-12 year old Samsung plasma, the picture is second to none for quality.

I'm not sure what it is about the "new" tvs, but either the resolution is too good or the screens are too bright but I really hate the picture, it looks almost fake or cartoonish ( I can't really explain properly..) I'm really dreading getting a new tv if and when this one dies.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
I've only got one tv and its a 10-12 year old Samsung plasma, the picture is second to none for quality.

I'm not sure what it is about the "new" tvs, but either the resolution is too good or the screens are too bright but I really hate the picture, it looks almost fake or cartoonish ( I can't really explain properly..) I'm really dreading getting a new tv if and when this one dies.
what I see on a lot of TVs in the store is that they have the contrast and brightness turned way up. They also have the motion detection shit (can't remember what it's actually called) turned on to make the picture more fluid; so they're trying to make a full 1080p picture out of maybe a 720i signal.

Plus, keep in mind that those store has that same signal split like what, 20 times? it's all one line, and each split just looses signal, no matter if it's actual cable, or just a DVD on repeat.

·
WebWheeling1KeyAtaTime
798 Posts
I've honestly had better luck with cheaper brand TVs... Have a 37" Vizio that 2 of the 3 HDMI ports stopped working after about a year. A 55" Samsung smart TV that died after 2.5 years. Have some cheap 40" RCA thats 6 or 7 years old that still works great.

Bought a 65" TCL Roku TV to replace the 55" Samsung. Only about 4 months old but haven't had any issues yet.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have an LG that's about 4-5 years old. I wouldn't buy another one. The Smart Hub is so slow that it's barely usable. I gave up on it and hooked a Roku to the TV. It's had some other quirks too, although it still has a good picture.
Most of the built in ones are, I'll just plug a Fire TV stick into it anyway. I've gotten more on board with that platform since January. The newest version works well.

I definitely did not want to be doing this right now... I'm trying to wait it out until restrictions are lifted. It's shutting down after about an hour now.

what I see on a lot of TVs in the store is that they have the contrast and brightness turned way up. They also have the motion detection shit (can't remember what it's actually called) turned on to make the picture more fluid; so they're trying to make a full 1080p picture out of maybe a 720i signal.

Plus, keep in mind that those store has that same signal split like what, 20 times? it's all one line, and each split just looses signal, no matter if it's actual cable, or just a DVD on repeat.
Yeah that demonstration mode is terrible, I usually set them up the way I want once I am home.

My buddy is trying to talk me into a curved display, I don't know what that brings to the table, if anything considering how I have it mounted.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
Most of the built in ones are, I'll just plug a Fire TV stick into it anyway. I've gotten more on board with that platform since January. The newest version works well.

I definitely did not want to be doing this right now... I'm trying to wait it out until restrictions are lifted. It's shutting down after about an hour now.

Yeah that demonstration mode is terrible, I usually set them up the way I want once I am home.

My buddy is trying to talk me into a curved display, I don't know what that brings to the table, if anything considering how I have it mounted.
As I understand it, it's just to help with glare. My buddy has one and I HATE it. The curve just drives me nuts and I think it looks stupid hanging on his wall.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[/COLOR]

As I understand it, it's just to help with glare. My buddy has one and I HATE it. The curve just drives me nuts and I think it looks stupid hanging on his wall.
If it honestly helped glare I would consider it... I HATE the glare my TV's get, and the film to block it is $200/ea

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
If it honestly helped glare I would consider it... I HATE the glare my TV's get, and the film to block it is $200/ea
If you have a glare issue it might be for you. He does not have a glare issue, he just had to have the latest and greatest shit. I do not have a glare issue either, so flat is fine for me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts