Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine was up at Silver Lake over this past weekend and said that he saw somebody die there right infront of his eyes.

His story:
This guy was going up the backside of a hill and got hit head on. He has to get up at 5am for work and went to bed without giving me details.

Don't know if this is a repost or not...has anybody heard?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Haven't heard, but what kind of idiots are they letting up there driving up the back side of a dune.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very much so. :(
I can't find any info.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
who drives up the back of the dune? goddamn theres some smart people out there

there are a lot of sharp peaks that are open for 2 way traffic

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Found the story
http://www.oceanaheraldjournal.com/news.php?story_id=25753

Edit...woops...that was July 7th. Wrong weekend. I'll keep looking.
That was the Jeep rollover a number of us saw. U-Turn on the hill. I have some video on that one. Sad to hear the results - I dont think I would have let a 17 year old drive a rental jeep on the dunes. There is barely enough experience on flat land at 17.

My 14 year old kept bugging me to drive the Tahoe (since he legally can with his ORV safety certificate). His answer was NO!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was the Jeep rollover a number of us saw. U-Turn on the hill. I have some video on that one. Sad to hear the results - I dont think I would have let a 17 year old drive a rental jeep on the dunes. There is barely enough experience on flat land at 17.
Off topic...but if he was 17 driving the Jeep that is probably in his parent's name...I wonder how the insurance handled that one. Just curios.

Its just gona keep getting worse every yr.. til the place gets shut down..
I really want to take my quad out there, but I don't trust the other drivers. Just way too many accidents lately.

·
AdvoCare Distributor
743 Posts
I was up there this past week and was talking to a guy. He said that the owner of one of the jeep rental places was up there on the 19th. Supposidly had a little to drink, and got air over test hill nose dived and rolled several times, killing his 6 year old daughter. A couple days later I was in the gas station/store across from Yogi bear and asked the lady working there about it. She didn't really want to get into the details but basically said people being stupid are going to ruin a good thing.

On another note a guy got hurt Saturday night (28th) around 7:30 Pm. He was on a motorcycle to the west of test hill near the water holes. He got picked up and taken out to the ambulance, not sure what happened to him, was my last night there and didn't want to waste it gauking.... he was moving as he lied in the sand...

42,949 Posts
Its just gona keep getting worse every yr.. til the place gets shut down..
as sad as it sounds, SL generates a TON of revenue. I don't see it being shut down anytime soon because of deaths. I can see it being shut down due to pollution/greenies/blah blah.

Could you imagine what would happen if 10 people died at the mounds in a summer? It would be shut down faster then you can believe.

The state will keep anything open that brings in $$$$

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Just be very careful - there have been a LOT of STUPID people breeding in the last few years!!!

I have more video of an idiot in a Suburban cutting in front of my as she is descending from a steep hill. Fortunately she was able to stop - tough to do with something as heavy as a Tahoe.

BTW - no insurance on the rental - it is part of the agreement - you are responsible for ALL damages.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW - no insurance on the rental - it is part of the agreement - you are responsible for ALL damages.
WOW! So the parents have to pay for all those medical bills...plus 'fixing' that Jeep!??!?!

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
More people have died within a 2 mile radius of my office (downtown Grand Rapids) from unnatural causes, then at Silver Lake this year.

I think there are to many turn-key rigs on the Dunes lately.
In the old days, you drove a little smarter when you had to build your rig from scratch.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts