Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to deal with reloads of applications on two computers today at work. These are third party apps for special situations. Both apps require connectivity to the public internet back to their host company whatever. Both applications are quite common ( in many variants ) in the marketplace. Yet neither application ( which both are constantly updated to take advantage of new security features etc... ) has any kind of proxy/firewall configuration management either thru a gui page or an ini file. In both cases the vendors have responded that the only possible means of getting them to work is to modify our firewall to their settings. Mind you both apps worked before the pc's got replaced.

Here's an example reply: ". Generally, if your firewall is a "stateful" firewall (most newer firewalls are), and you have an "inside host rule" policy running on this firewall, then PC Transact It should operate without issue. If you have an older firewall, or if you are running the software behind a proxy server, you may need to have the firewall and/or proxy server modified to allow connections to port 8100 on Internet hosts xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.net and xxxxxx.xxxxxx.net."

Am I the only one that laughs at vendors that do not cater to companies that have stringent firewall rules? I mean, our setup is pretty much the standard in the corporate world too. Oh well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts