Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TJ 1999, OEM 5sp manual, 6 cyl. engine running, not moving, clutch in, shift lever very difficult to get into REVERSE gear. takes a lot of coaxing before engaging. no grinding when it does engage, just a lot of tugging and runs smoothly when finely engaged.

suggestions?

note: I AM A REAL 10-THUMB ROOKIE WHEN IT COMES TO ANYTHING MECHANICAL HIDING BEHIND THE SHEET METAL.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,448 Posts
I would suspect if its doing consitantly the clutch is not releasing competely. Check your fluid level and address problem if leaking.
secondly theres no "Syncros" on any reverse in a manual trans.

·
3,591 Posts
I would suspect if its doing consitantly the clutch is not releasing competely. Check your fluid level and address problem if leaking.
secondly theres no "Syncros" on any reverse in a manual trans.
there is:poke:
my Rubicon has a syncro on reverse

try letting it roll a little bit or like stated above go through a couple gears, and you shouldn't have a problem.
also it helps when you are trying to pull it into gear let the clutch out slowly and that will usually line everything up nice and quick and it will slide right in with out any grinding.

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
whell i know the ax5 tranny behind the four clynders are finicky at best with reverse shifts. a trick i was tought is if it wont shift into R release the clutch in nutral then redepress the clutch and try shifting into R again. works every time for my finicky ax5.

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
i have consolted the god(tj builders guide) the ax15 has a reverse lockout mechanisim.

oh wrif the ax15 has no r syncro

·
3,591 Posts
true. but it was stated the no trans has a syncro on reverse.
yetti is a smart guy, i just figured for people who don't know
i would clear that up, you know how some people are,
tell them one thing about one car and they hold it true for everyone ever made.
i just didn't want some one to see that and and think it was the case for the
rest of the manual trans out there.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have consolted the god(tj builders guide) the ax15 has a reverse lockout mechanisim.

DING DING DING We have a winner. not discussed in the owner's manual but depressing the clutch AND brake pedal lets tranny slip into reverse like butta. duhha!

thanks muddy maki

·
14,448 Posts
true. but it was stated the no trans has a syncro on reverse.
yetti is a smart guy, i just figured for people who don't know
i would clear that up, you know how some people are,
tell them one thing about one car and they hold it true for everyone ever made.
i just didn't want some one to see that and and think it was the case for the
rest of the manual trans out there.
I am confused what your clearing up on my behalf? my statement is true. I have worked on cars trucks and heavy equipment my whole life and the only things with a reverse syncro is a bulldozer if it has more then one speed backwards. so tell me again how your saving the day?

·
14,448 Posts
If I might add a bit to the above. I do think most people assume that Reverse has whats called a "Blocker" ring or braking ring. the idea that they exist is for forward gears only. reverse gears have Syncros only in the form of a gated ring that ingages the gear. there are no "blocker" rings to help get anything into reverse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.