Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to safely, i.e. without damaging me or the top, remove a hard top?

MY garage isn't tall enough to use my hard top hoist, and i want to pull this thing off.

I thought about building some wooden stilts and just lifting it slightly and putting wood beams under it, but then it'll still be way up in the air.

any other techniques that dont end in death or dismemberment?

·
NSFW
2,239 Posts
1. unbolt top.
2. engage four lo in transfer case.
3. back up to immovable object, such as tree.
4. tie top to said tree.
5. drive away
6. no more top!

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. unbolt top.
2. engage four lo in transfer case.
3. back up to immovable object, such as tree.
4. tie top to said tree.
5. drive away
6. no more top!

thats a decent idea, i hadn't even thought of that.
I just have to find some branchs sturdy enough

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always took out the back seat lifted it on my back bent over and slowly walked out... though I have no clue what I will do now that the jeep is tall like yours...

whatever I am of no help.
It works, just build a ramp to walk down out the tailgate area
That would be a HELL of a long Ramp lol I'd be better off taking two 12' 2x6's
, placing on on each side and sliding it down.
I broke the rear glass like 10 years ago, so at least that is plexi now

·
NSFW
2,239 Posts
Those fiberglass tops don't slide very well, if you've got plenty of lumber, build a temporary shelf to set it up on on either side of the jeep, then drive the jeep out

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Doesn't matter how high the garage ceiling is. As long as its a couple inches higher than the Jeep, back into the garage, ratchet strap the 4 corners to the ceiling, raise it up a couple inches by going around in a circle and ratcheting each strap a little at a time, and then drive out from under it.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't matter how high the garage ceiling is. As long as its a couple inches higher than the Jeep, back into the garage, ratchet strap the 4 corners to the ceiling, raise it up a couple inches by going around in a circle and ratcheting each strap a little at a time, and then drive out from under it.

yeah, can't get it into the garage

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
yeah, can't get it into the garage
That's an important piece of information that you left out of the 1st post, you clown. :finger:

All you said was that you couldn't use the hoist, which suggests that there is not enough room between the roof and ceiling, which suggests that the YJ had to have been in the garage in order for you to make that assessment.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's an important piece of information that you left out of the 1st post, you clown. :finger:

All you said was that you couldn't use the hoist, which suggests that there is not enough room between the roof and ceiling, which suggests that the YJ had to have been in the garage in order for you to make that assessment.

no i cant use the hoist because i can't get the damn beast into the garage :sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

airing down the tires doesn't really work, they're TSL's, and i run them at 8psi on road as it is..... i need a set of like 29" tires on 8 lug wheels :d:

·
NSFW
2,239 Posts
no i cant use the hoist because i can't get the damn beast into the garage :sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

airing down the tires doesn't really work, they're TSL's, and i run them at 8psi on road as it is..... i need a set of like 29" tires on 8 lug wheels :d:
or for this purpose, bolt on wheels minus tires! Think of the burnouts!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Give a neighbor kid $10 to grab a side. I got a wicked fiberglass splinter sliding my hand along the bottom rail this season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts