Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
225 oddfire/3-speed/D18, D27/D44. Have title. Extra set of stock axles not included at this time. Extra engine I got a while ago in another deal is available for a little more. Tub is obviously bad in the rear - just backhalf/tube it. Believed to run, just haven't dicked around with it yet. Notice its already SOA. Formerly owned by 88yj. Available immediately and I have the title.

I have other axles right now as well, to include offset rears for Zooks. Call or PM.

Edit: I also just remembered that I have an 80's passenger car fuel injection setup that will bolt to this motor. I'll have to lay out the parts to see what all is there, but its included in the price of the vehicle.

SOLD.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much to finish cutting to size???
I don't know - it doesn't really matter much to me as its something that needs to be done. Moser is going to do it and it'll get factored into the price. If you want to shop it around to see if you can save a few bucks, buy it before I do it. Call shops and ask them how much to cut any pair of D44 inner shafts to NT CJ length.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After pushing it down the row to the new storage unit, I remembered that it has a welded rear. :tonka:

I also have the key now, so I'm going to attempt to start it up soon.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
If you want to sell those V6 logos off the side I will buy them from you :tonka:

For anyone looking the Dauntless V6 in these is a VERY fun motor. Nice heavy flywheel on them so you can lug the RPM's right down, yet they have ~160 HP @4200 RPM (that is unmodified: They can make much more) and 235 ft lbs @ 2400 RPM

Another fun factoid:
a Buick 225 V6 engines mated to a manual transmission (big flywheel) will idle vehicle over the trail with just 2 cylinders firing--the momentum of that large flywheel keeping the engine running. At highway speeds the Buick 225 will purr along and still get 15-20 mpg (depending on gearing).
Highway speed when that was written = 45-55 mph

·
Registered
127 Posts
...the Dauntless V6 in these is a VERY fun motor. Nice heavy flywheel on them so you can lug the RPM's right down, yet they have ~160 HP @4200 RPM (that is unmodified: They can make much more) and 235 ft lbs @ 2400 RPM
Would you say these are better than swaping in a Chevy 4.3L V6?
I was always told to stay away from these Buick V6 that Jeep used.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's mostly because people don't understand them. They say things like that for the same reason that people suggest swapping a Chevy 350 in place of an AMC V8. The 225's became 231's after a couple years. The 231 was carried for a long time and eventually became more commonly known as the "Buick 3.8". 225's share bolt-pattern compatibility all the way up to the mid-80's when the 3800 appeared. If you should happen to blow one up, there's a ton of shit you can get replacements from, including fuel-injected Buick cars.

I don't exactly remember his User Name, but I think it was IndyCJ (or something) that used to run the Buick V6's in his Jeep. IIRC, he built one that liked to spin up so much that he actually disliked it because it was too much power for his liking whern trying to drive in a technical manner. You can do a lot with them and there's actually a lot of aftermarket parts out there.

Also of note is the fact that Buick 350's drop in place of the V6's. The motor mounts and block/transmission patterns are the same. You just need to change out the grille or cut away the built-in "fan shroud" from the stock grille to make a little more room for the extra cylinders. This is particularly nice for Commando owners that have TH400's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's mostly because people don't understand them. They say things like that for the same reason that people suggest swapping a Chevy 350 in place of an AMC V8. The 225's became 231's after a couple years. The 231 was carried for a long time and eventually became more commonly known as the "Buick 3.8". 225's share bolt-pattern compatibility all the way up to the mid-80's when the 3800 appeared. If you should happen to blow one up, there's a ton of shit you can get replacements from, including fuel-injected Buick cars.

I don't exactly remember his User Name, but I think it was IndyCJ (or something) that used to run the Buick V6's in his Jeep. IIRC, he built one that liked to spin up so much that he actually disliked it because it was too much power for his liking whern trying to drive in a technical manner. You can do a lot with them and there's actually a lot of aftermarket parts out there.

Also of note is the fact that Buick 350's drop in place of the V6's. The motor mounts and block/transmission patterns are the same. You just need to change out the grille or cut away the built-in "fan shroud" from the stock grille to make a little more room for the extra cylinders. This is particularly nice for Commando owners that have TH400's.
Thanx for the education.
I've never owned a Jeep or any car that was Buick powered.

Are the 3.8L Engines from modern front wheel drive cars the same as these?
There are bunches of those around...some with superchargers! OOOYESS!

BTW, I am a very loyal AMC V8 enthusiast and owner.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the 3.8L Engines from modern front wheel drive cars the same as these?
There are bunches of those around...some with superchargers! OOOYESS!
No, those are 3800's. If it says 3800 on it, its not the same block.

Buick V6's with turbos like GN's & Turbo T/A's were 3.8's, which are compatible.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I agree with Pavement Pounder below... they are a really good motor, with a FI system adapted I think they would be right there with the 4.3. The only reason to go to the 4.3 would be interchangeability of parts with the V8 Chevy's IMO because the parts are so common off the shelf. The 225 is very swappable with the later 3.8 motors so off the shelf parts are common, but once in a great while you have to order stuff, but is still readily accessible. Junkyard stuff isn't as common since the older cars have been getting crushed with steel so high. The motor fully dressed is in the 400 lb range, is very light, and very easy to cool, you have to have a pretty serious cooling problem to get one to overheat.

The only 'bad' thing about the 225 is because it is an 'oddfire' motor they are supposed to be harder on timing sets. BUT there are aftermarket kits that take care of this. The oddfire has a very unique sound to it as well. The 225 version was made into about 1972ish IIRC then they became 231 Oddfires, The Buick V6 switched over to an even fire setup around 1974-1975ish to help with the vibration and smooth out the idle.

www.earlycj5.com has ALL the Buick V6 info you can want, or links to it.

RenegadeII has a Buick V6 in his CJ5, pretty built up... IIRC bored out to 4.1L but it was an even-fire motor IIRC. He is the one that originally got me to keep the Buick V6 for my project after hearing/seeing his Jeep.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Once again, thanx for the info and education.
Okay...my brain has reached its quota for knowledge today, I need to go lay down now. hehehe

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PP, is the 8th picture, is that a roll cage that would fit my '79 cj5? If so PM me a price for it.
No, its not. That's something else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dang No Tunes, Not even an 8Track Player!
Looks pretty solid for the year,
Wish I had the extra $$$, Bump for ya!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts