Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
I have several different brand soft shackles.
gatorjaw and jmrigging are both good.

Strap - I also have several. Can’t recall any brand names.
For a Jeep I like 2” x 30’ rated at 20,000 pounds.

I also have a Bubba rope. I don’t like it - too stretchy and I can’t get a good feel of the resistance.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,223 Posts
I've been wanting to look into theses. I only still have the old school metal "D" rings and flat straps.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have several different brand soft shackles.
gatorjaw and jmrigging are both good.

Strap - I also have several. Can’t recall any brand names.
For a Jeep I like 2” x 30’ rated at 20,000 pounds.

I also have a Bubba rope. I don’t like it - too stretchy and I can’t get a good feel of the resistance.
I see the bubba rope gatorjaw shackles....now how does one decide which size to go with? 3/8" at 47,000 lbs , 5/16" is rated at 26,000 lbs. I know this is breaking strength.... is there a rule of safety margin you should shoot for as you do not want to operate near the breaking strength?

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,223 Posts
Mine are 3/8. Overkill? maybe. Safer? yes.
My only caveat to the "bigger is better" theory is you don't want your weakest link to be the recovery points on the vehicles. I'd rather break the $30 shackle than the $200 recovery rope or rip a recovery point off and have it flying at someone's head.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
My only caveat to the "bigger is better" theory is you don't want your weakest link to be the recovery points on the vehicles. I'd rather break the $30 shackle than the $200 recovery rope or rip a recovery point off and have it flying at someone's head.
If your recovery points on your rig are a weak link, take them off and throw them away - that's how people die. You should never go off road and put ANYONE in that situation to recover your ass.

I've heard the "weak link" statement for years on driveline. I have the same opinion - eliminate the weak link or don't go off road - or know your limitations and stay within them.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,223 Posts
If your recovery points on your rig are a weak link, take them off and throw them away - that's how people die. You should never go off road and put ANYONE in that situation to recover your ass.

I've heard the "weak link" statement for years on driveline. I have the same opinion - eliminate the weak link or don't go off road - or know your limitations and stay within them.
In any multipart system, there is always a weak link. If you eliminate one weak link then the next weakest part becomes the weak link. So yes, the key to safety is to know what that weak link is, what it's limitations are, and what could happen if it fails.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
In any multipart system, there is always a weak link. If you eliminate one weak link then the next weakest part becomes the weak link. So yes, the key to safety is to know what that weak link is, what it's limitations are, and what could happen if it fails.
The key to safety is having the proper equipment, proper tow points and knowing how to use it.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all good info. I have turned down recovering people based on how stuck they were or by looking at their "hook" (just a ball hitch). People get upset but I tell them its not worth damaging my equipment or someone's life because you were not prepared with safe recovery points.

I'll order up some 3/8" soft shackles and some recovery rope/strap.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too would trust seeing a bolt on hook before a welded on hook. Weld can look good and nice but there is zero penetration.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
all good info. I have turned down recovering people based on how stuck they were or by looking at their "hook" (just a ball hitch). People get upset but I tell them its not worth damaging my equipment or someone's life because you were not prepared with safe recovery points.

I'll order up some 3/8" soft shackles and some recovery rope/strap.
I'd be interested is seeing what you end up getting. We see to be working with the same type of budget in mind with our builds 😁

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd be interested is seeing what you end up getting. We see to be working with the same type of budget in mind with our builds 😁
I'm going to order these soft shackles:

Was going to do a bubba rope 30' rope...but not sure I want to spend that kind of money rite now. Might just opt for a regular strap...2" x 30' like this:

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,262 Posts
I'm going to order these soft shackles:

Was going to do a bubba rope 30' rope...but not sure I want to spend that kind of money rite now. Might just opt for a regular strap...2" x 30' like this:

I'll take some for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered. Lol. I bet you would. I need to add some good recovery points to the chassis now. Not sure its smart to wrap the shackle around the tubing and pull.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
I was always told to trust no bolt in single shear.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Gotta look at the math.
You better not look at how your wheels are attached. Lol

so the shear strength of a single 1/2” bolt is just under 18,000 pounds. (91,000 psi) Most tow hooks are attached with 2 bolts. So if you have 36,000 pounds of shear strength and a 20,000 pound rated strap, what’s your risk?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts