Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do, every day, multiple times, and after reading many articles about thids and seeing the folks picketing I am having mixed emotions. Des picketing really make an emotional difference to you?

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, after almost 2 hours, not a single perosn drives by a GM plant in strike? Everyone is saying how this is such a bad thing, but nobody seems to be seeing or feeling the consequesnses yet.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,098 Posts
I work right by one and have to drive by on the way to and from work. It make no difference to me. I thought about turning into the drive just to see how quickly they could jump.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
I drive by the proving grounds in Milford, I kindly asked those picketing to allow me, someone driving to work to get the fuck out of the road.

Otherwise it doesn't effect me emotianally. Personally i would like to see these UAW jobs opened up to the general non union public seeing as how there are 10% of our population looking for work right nwo who would probably take these jobs.

I am sure it will effect the local economy to some extent as it drags out.

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
Wow, after almost 2 hours, not a single perosn drives by a GM plant in strike? Everyone is saying how this is such a bad thing, but nobody seems to be seeing or feeling the consequesnses yet.
I drive by one, (Orion) and have to drive into another (Pontiac), where I work. What disappoints me is that most if not everyone of the guy/girls on the line have never been on a picket line before. Unless they have over 35 years seniority. Event the ones you see on TV almost make it seem like a carnival atmosphere. If this thing goes much beyond a few weeks it's going to get ugly. And not just for the ones on strike. Supporting companies are going to feel the trickle down effect. Delphi is starting to feel it tonight, 400 layed off. Won't be long for the others to follow. Just think back at the Flint stamping plant 'outsourcing' strike back in the late 90's. GM lost millions, Michigan's economy suffered and never really sprang back.
Believe me, this is going to be bad if it doesn't end with in a week or so.
NO ONE WILL WIN!
jim-kb8ymf

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
I do, every day, multiple times, and after reading many articles about thids and seeing the folks picketing I am having mixed emotions. Des picketing really make an emotional difference to you?
I do not drive by any GM plants.. and in most cases i never sympathize with anyone picketing or protesting i usually want to throw something at them.. even if its something i agree with :D ..

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
I drive by Orion about once a week. haven't been since the strike.

42,948 Posts
I drive by the orion plant usually 4-6 times a day.

I already filed a complaint with auburn hills about all the cars parked on the public property ajoining the road.

The officer told me I'm not the only one to do so.

·
8,046 Posts
As a Union member on this site, it's easier not to reply. I don't come here to argue.

·
You call, we haul.
1,509 Posts
I drive by the a facility on Middlebelt Rd in Livonia on my way in to work every morning. My dad also works at the GM Tech Center in Warren, so we both get to see people on strike.

The UAW workers have my support until the moment they turn violent. If this turns into another Detroit News -type strike, I say "gently caress" them all.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
is it right for picketers to block of main roads and question u where your goin.......no i dont thinks so.......so i told em to get the fuck out of my way so i could get to work and they just looked at me.....so i reved the engine and popped the clutch.....they moved in a hurry.......it dont help that i work right next to the plant and have nothing to do with auto parts at all

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does picketing really make an emotional difference to you?
I passed some picketers on my way home from work yesterday and today.

What struck me was the age of the folks carrying signs. The ones I saw looked to be in their late 40's to mid 50's. Balding and middle aged. Tired.

They looked like people from my fathers generation.

I've worked in the auto industry for several years and am fairly familiar with the games some of the union folks play.

But all that noise aside I still felt bad for the strikers. Most of these people aren't lazy or unqualified. Most of them are just trying to support their families and are afraid of the rug being pulled out from under them.

It's sad. It really is.

·
End nerd persecution
2,248 Posts
is it right for picketers to block of main roads and question u where your goin.......no i dont thinks so.......so i told em to get the fuck out of my way so i could get to work and they just looked at me.....so i reved the engine and popped the clutch.....they moved in a hurry.......it dont help that i work right next to the plant and have nothing to do with auto parts at all
x2.....I know what you mean. My wife works at Romulus engine as a salaried employee and had to cross the picket line. She would have people cross in front of her and tell her to roll down her window. They wanted her to support the UAW and take vacation while thet are on strike. Now how in the hell is that going to put a hurt on GM? She gets paid mo matter what. Plus, the plant is not putting out engines so they're already not making money. The only reason she's there is to make sure the enviroment doesn't get polluted. :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts