Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Gustafson
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Interesting on some campgrounds not allowing older campers. I wonder if the airstream people are impacted by this too?

any chance you could put a selectable locker in it? seems overkill, but would allow engagement only when you need it. What trans does it have? (sorry if I missed it)
Yeah, some campgrounds have it right on their website that no campers older than 2010 will be allowed in. Personally, that's not somewhere I want to camp. Sounds like they're uppity assholes.

·
Project Antitube
917 Posts
I'm thinking of building a crappy camper...

All I really need is a secure place to sleep in the back of my truck and carry my things. We go to be outside, I poop, shower, and basically live outside the whole time I'm camping unless it's raining. Even then an awning would be fine, I only go in the spring/summer.

Our truck bed camper has a lot of wasted space with things we don't really need in it, like a bathroom no one can use anyway.
I made one out of a 6x10 enclosed trailer once. Shitter off amazon, water heater off amazon, "furnace" off amazon, sink was a tiny one from menards (ebay has them also, for $35), etc. Cut a hole in the floor for the shitter and I use a carpet tube for a shitter director tube. Beds flipped up and used support legs to the floor. Cut a hole in the side door for a window. Power vent fan, 12v lighting with a battery in the battery box on the tongue. The partition walls for the bathroom folded flat with a piano hinge.

I wish I'd sprayed the inside with foam first before I put lauan on the walls but whatever. It worked but it mostly gets used for hauling stuff. The intent was to be convertible and it is.

·
Project Antitube
917 Posts
A lot of places don't let in older campers (usually it's more than 12 years old, some places it's 10). Basically it's to keep the poors out. From what I can gather they'll let anyone in that looks like they're adults even if they have an older camper. However, if you show up with a racecar with plumbing from the 70s and some asshat brodozer dragging a clapped out mid-2000s 5er is trying to get in and they don't want them... and there you are with something 30 years older... it puts them in a pickle.

·
Yooper In Training
7,093 Posts
Are you guys talking campgrounds or "RV Resorts"? I have yet to see or encounter a single campground with an age restriction. Granted, I don't want glamping or hotel pricing for a piece of dirt, so I'm not looking for the fancy stuff. My camper is a 2001 but like I said, I have yet to see a website or registration form for anywhere I wanted to stay that even asked age, just size and number of people.

·
Project Antitube
917 Posts
I think the age restriction is more for "resorts" for the Olds and the private campgrounds that have long-term "renters" as it is really hard to evict someone from a campground. I know it's a problem out west where people often choose to fulltime because there is no other option. Especially anywhere there is transient work (anywhere near energy fields, gold mines, etc).

I know it's rare in Michigan, but that's where my first camper came from. My first camper was 20 years old when I bought it because it'd been sitting in the same spot since 1992. They had a rule at the campground it couldn't be more than 20 years old. It also seems to be more common in the southwest part of the state because I know two people at two different campgrounds that don't let campers in over 10 years old with more than a weekend permit and don't let campers stay that are more than 20 years old. I'm 99% sure its all due to keeping shitty looking seasonals from staying.

·
offensive 2 the sensitive
2,845 Posts
Right here!!!😘

·
2,845 Posts
Haha I never get on here anymore and just decided to poke around today. Its sad, facebook has totally destroyed forums. Not to mention if you say a fraction of the things on facebook that we use to say here then you get banned. But I think facebooks future in free speech terms is short lived if they don't lighten up which should hopefully wake up the forums again! I actually used my torpedo heater I bought from Dave(immortal) about 6 years ago and it reminded me of this site.

·
2,845 Posts
Family and I got into camping and boating! I have my 4th child on the way and due ANY DAY! Yes, four kids for all of you who didn't want me to reproduce 😂 Sold off the mud/trail truck and picked up a southern 1990 square body suburban to make a family sand/trail truck out of instead!

·
Gustafson
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Nice setup!! Glad to hear that you are doing well.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts