Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Gustafson
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this place isn't what it once was, but what caused the initial decline? I look back at old threads that literally make me almost wet myself from laughing so much. I see names like Pavementpounder, Sol Goode, Stan, Muskegon ZJ girl, I could go on forever. What happened to all these people?

It sure seems that the new ownership has put the final nail in this sites coffin. I was just curious why so many left and never returned.

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
Great question. I really don't knkw, but it's happened everywhere. Sad deal.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

·
Gustafson
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a sad deal.

I see Porter is still alive. Haha

·
Old School
33,015 Posts
Combo of farcebook and Kelly selling the site, general douchebaggery scaring off new members, and some folks just not wheeling anymore.

·
Gustafson
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Combo of farcebook and Kelly selling the site, general douchebaggery scaring off new members, and some folks just not wheeling anymore.
I feel like facespace was around for years while this site was in its heyday. I don't see why that changed?

When did CC sell the site?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
I think a lot of it can be attributed to this:

The majority of the people that made this site great are ones that are hands on, they go out and do stuff. They have the funny stories and general BS humor and great toilet humor, because they go out and experience and have real life shit going on. Now, the internet in general is being flooded with just, loser, never done anything themselves, internet warriors that spend all day on the computer, on a game console, and have really shitty humor, no actual stories themselves but "know" a guy or read something somewhere. They're the people looking at a small potion of the world, a tiny little spec, claiming to be some expert or acting like they're opinion matters. You get the internet filled with just fawking idoits, who just bitch and bitch, and cry and whine about fawking anything; and it just turns the good people, the funny ass story tellers, right off the internet. They have a tendency to just stop posting, and stop visiting places like this.

It turns it from a place to share a funny story, throw some BS around and laugh at each other; to filled with bitchy little douchbags that have nothing better to do than just fucking ruin any sort of fun. It's the same thing with a cool bar that gets flooded with hipsters. Nobody likes hipsters, hipsters don't like hipsters.

I don't think thats the only reason, but I think that's a pretty big one. Another reason, nobody likes change; people liked that this site was local owned, local administered. Selling the site to a big corporation, then slowing this site becoming more and more corporate just kills it. Like now. This is not the site that people grew up on; the visual aspect of the whole site change, on top of the diminishing visitor and regular members is just the nail in the coffin to prove that this site isn't what people loved.

To the people that are complaining (myself included) about how the admins change this site to be the same and expect people to stay here.....the admins don't care. They don't care because they don't have too; the influx of the internet lifers means that no matter what an admin does or how much it changes, there will always be people coming through to make them money. The people not accepting the change aren't the ones that matter, on the internet. The ones that matter are the one that I spoke about before, the ones that do nothing put post and spend all day on some sort of internet site or social media.

·
Fire fire!
2,569 Posts
It's been a long time that I've visited this site. Had to make a new name cause I forgot the email used on my old name. That's how long it's been, lol. Sure do miss wheeling and about to get back involved in it again.

·
Gustafson
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been a long time that I've visited this site. Had to make a new name cause I forgot the email used on my old name. That's how long it's been, lol. Sure do miss wheeling and about to get back involved in it again.
What was your old screen name? Welcome back!

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Things have changed that's for sure. Back in the days this place was great. I remember spending hours engaging with others in debate and back and forth dialog. Some good and some not so good. Funny stories and people telling them brought us together.
One story I remember was a cop here that told us how the mentally challenged kid down the street took his wife's shoes off the porch. He had a number of run ins with him which were hilarious, great story teller. Something about motorboatin' comes to mind.
We've had people come and go, we've also lost a few members which are tragic and we will never forget. We are something like a family here if you think of it. We agree on things and disagree as well. Share stories and experiences which keep us coming back.
It's the negativity that drives people away which is sad really.
I pray that we can all come together and get along and move past indifferences without name calling because we disagree.
This site will never be the same but I'm hopeful it will get better.

·
Gustafson
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadly, I was hopeful it would get better for a while, and it seems like it did, but then this change in format came a long and I think that's going to really take it way down.

Look at the new posts since it's changed. No one is coming here. It makes me very sad. This place was like a family for me.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
5,656 Posts
I came onboard to gl4x4 when everyone left michiganjeepers. (I think that was the name? Been so long!)

I was 16-17 and had all the time in the world. Now at 33 I have a career, more projects then I can handle, running a side business that keeps me slammed. I just don't have the time to post/read on here. Was a cool place back in the day! I think most young people now just join FB groups.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
I came onboard to gl4x4 when everyone left michiganjeepers. (I think that was the name? Been so long!)

I was 16-17 and had all the time in the world. Now at 33 I have a career, more projects then I can handle, running a side business that keeps me slammed. I just don't have the time to post/read on here. Was a cool place back in the day! I think most young people now just join FB groups.
Same here, I've been around since the Michigan Jeepers days. The entire off-road scene in Michigan seemed to be different back then, at least our community was. People got together much more in person back then. I miss the old days but I guess like they say change is ineveitable. I hope a decent core group remains here on GL4X4. I'll join irate some day soon but I still like having a more local online off-road community as well.

·
Gustafson
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Maybe you're right, maybe everyone just "grew up" and moved on.

I joined at 25 when I bought my first Jeep. Met a few local guys, then met a few more, never made it on any of the trips (they always seemed to be during other family commitments) but I enjoyed the comradery and the bond that all of us shared. I went away from this site for a while (probably a couple years) because of some bad things that happened in my life, but I never forgot how great this place and the people were. Sadly, when I returned things were different. Still a good place to visit, but not the 20 new posts every time you refreshed the page like it was. Now it seems with the commercialization of this site (and many others) the last of the ones who made it what it once was are gone and not returning.

Since I joined this site I have gotten married, had open heart surgery, bought my first home, sold that old Jeep, had a child, changed jobs 3 times, buried my old dog, buried my mother, and fought through a slue of health and personal issues. it was nice to always have some place to come "home" to. Maybe that's what it was for me. A place I could go to help others, that made me laugh, made me think, and that helped me focus on other things.

I'll still log in everyday and hope that people will still be here. Hell, maybe I'll be the one who turns the lights off.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You guys should really join Facebook, from what my woman described it it’s just what’s yas need. You’re treating this site like it
All forumns are dying if not already dead, people grow up and move on from the sport and young people are just not into it if they are they’re in a sxs
The political talk has killed this site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 43 Posts