Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Glad I'm not Gay J. Hall!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an xj today it's a 93, the lady i bought it from said that the dealership wanted 4k because it needed something with the rockers and cam or some bs like that and it's causing it to jump time. I think the dealer is full of crap, it starts up and runs fine I drove it on my trailer, there are no ticks or anything i can hear in the motor. It has 104000 miles. She said that when it quits running if it sits 10 min it will start up and run again, she said it only runs for about 10 min at a time. How can something that jumps time start up and run again? Have you heard of this problem? She also ran it out of gas this winter, i think it sounds like the fuel filter or fuel pump is more the culpret? What do you guys think? I never owned an XJ before.

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
I think if you paid $4k you are crazy.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that you should wait and see what it does for yourself and then describe that to us, so as to spare us the pain of trying to troubleshoot the old lady's description. :tonka:
when i went to look at it I started it up and it ran for 5 min. went to go get my trailer and it started up and i drove it onto my trailer, it seems to run very well, just not sure what this stalling thing is all about?? it acts like it runs out of gas and dies, after it sat a while it started up again, I'm pretty sure it's not jumping time like the dealer told her.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
when i went to look at it I started it up and it ran for 5 min. went to go get my trailer and it started up and i drove it onto my trailer, it seems to run very well, just not sure what this stalling thing is all about?? it acts like it runs out of gas and dies, after it sat a while it started up again, I'm pretty sure it's not jumping time like the dealer told her.
It runs under throttle, but dies afterwards? Try cheap stuff first - filter (is it in-tank?) and clean the injectors. Measuring the fuel pressure is also cheap.

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
I think if you think he paid $4k, you can't read.
It's late and I have no need for spro sarcasm. I just read something about 4k and ignored anything else, really. My mistake!:nana:

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It runs under throttle, but dies afterwards? Try cheap stuff first - filter (is it in-tank?) and clean the injectors. Measuring the fuel pressure is also cheap.
it runs and idles under load and not, just runs a short time and dies, then you have to wait a little bit and it will start again

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's late and I have no need for spro sarcasm. I just read something about 4k and ignored anything else, really. My mistake!:nana:
4k is what the dealership wanted to fix the engine that seems to run just fine, only for a short time though

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the fuel filter is in line, i'm gonna start there, I was just wondering if aneone has had or heard of similar issues

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
when it dies check it for spark, almost sounds like classic CPS or coil. Mine when it died last week acted the exact same way, replaced coil. bingo.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
fuel filter, cps, plugged cat, overheating coil (shorted)....

Tell ya what, i'll give ya 500 for it and take it off your hands.

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
when it dies check it for spark, almost sounds like classic CPS or coil. Mine when it died last week acted the exact same way, replaced coil. bingo.
X2............and check your ground cable connections, at the battery, and where it mounts to the body/engine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm working on the xj while he's out of town. Here's my description of the problem... Start it up, takes a couple of rolls to finally fire. Runs for a few minutes, and its like you turned the key off. Try to start it immediatley, and it won't fire. Let it set about 10 minutes, and it starts normally again, and repeats the same problem.

I just replaced the coil. Same problem. Checked grounds, their fine. The fuel filter is brand new. What would your next try be.

Thanks for any help you can give!

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
ECM is my guess see if you can borrow one from somebody

1 - 20 of 30 Posts