Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter Pump and MSR WhisperLite Stove. I'm psyched!

Bring on the backpacking!

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Nice. I'ma get a Katydn filter soon.

Where are you heading? We just got back from the hike-in campground at Ludington State Park. Not too bad. Not Manitou, that's for sure. Awesome beach, though.

·
Jeeper
302 Posts
why would you buy katadyn?

I have 4 filters:
MSR Mini works EX
Katadyn hiker
First needs deluxe
MSR Miox

I have these stoves:
MSR Dragon fly
Msr whisperlite
Msr Pocket rocket
Msr Dragonfly

I can tell you the most used filter is the Mini works, because if it gets clogged you can clean it in the field. You can pump water from mud on your death bed. Try doing that with a katadyn.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I'ma get a Katydn filter soon.

Where are you heading? We just got back from the hike-in campground at Ludington State Park. Not too bad. Not Manitou, that's for sure. Awesome beach, though.
the jack pines? I wanted to do that a couple weekends ago, but it was booked, so i ended up camping up at silver lake instead....lucky...

I'm gonna go hike the manistee river trail. then maybe if i like that, i'll go back and do it again, only with my kayak ;)

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
the jack pines? I wanted to do that a couple weekends ago, but it was booked, so i ended up camping up at silver lake instead....lucky...

I'm gonna go hike the manistee river trail. then maybe if i like that, i'll go back and do it again, only with my kayak ;)
Yeah, Jack Pine.

You'll like the MRT. I haven't hiked it myself, but have spent plenty of time on the river up there. The fam has a cabin near Brethren. I've always wanted to ride my bike down the MRT, but I've been a good boy and kept to the North Country.

When you float the river bring your fishing pole. Lots of trout in there.

·
Jeeper
302 Posts
Definitely a good point about the field serviceability. I was leaning towards Katadyn because my buddy has one and really likes it, and based his purchase on something he read in Backpacker.
I sold the products for almost 4 years. They each have their upside, however, the biggest upside to katadyn is the rate of flow. What I like about MSR is the field service ability, the longer lasting filter, and that it is an international company.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i did good in ordering the MSR Mini?

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
Definitely a good point about the field serviceability. I was leaning towards Katadyn because my buddy has one and really likes it, and based his purchase on something he read in Backpacker.
Yea I stopped reading backpacker because their gear guide wasn't the best equipment guide it was the most expensive equipment guide.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
When I first opened up the thread, the first pic looked like a penis pump. :sonicjay:

Don't ask me how I know...haha.

How much did that set ya back?

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the filter was 79$ and the stove was 69$

·
Registered
421 Posts
That stove is really nice! I had the same one for years, takes a beating too!

·
******* Excavator
1,264 Posts
Hey mike I did not know you were into backpacking. Me and Laura went up to the North Country trail and then back down the Manistee trail already this year..Give me a call some time we will go with yea...

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Hey mike I did not know you were into backpacking. Me and Laura went up to the North Country trail and then back down the Manistee trail already this year..Give me a call some time we will go with yea...
If this is the loop you can make near Messick, My wife and I hiked the same route and loved it.

All I can say is once you're on the MRT, you'll be pleasant surprised with the wilderness.

+1 on the MSR filter - have had ours for three years now and it has never let us down, plus, I lost one of the linkage pivot pins and MSR sent me a few for free. :thumb:

I have a Brunton multi fuel stove and a MSR dragonfly.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts