Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's grandma just gave us a beautiful piece of furniture. The only problem is that she was a smoker all her life and it REEKS of cigarette smoke.

From the research I've done there looks to be some chemicals that help but I hear that the best is just to reseal it with lacquer . . .

Any recommendations would be great!! :woot:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is the smell in the fabric? Have you tried the cheap route and dousing it with Febreeze? If that doesn't work you might want to call Modernistic or something like that to see what they would charge.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Sand ALLLLLLL surfaces and re finish.

I would pay attention to the insides of the drawers, her clothes held that smoke smell in and were in the drawers=highest concentration of the odor
Before refinishing something nice I would suggest burning some incense around it and in it and letting it air out.

·
Hula Girl At Heart
1,556 Posts
I was going to say either baking soda in the drawers and a 50/50 vinegar wash but I wasn't sure. A quick Google search let me know I wasn't too far off base. Be careful of putting anything wood in the sun--it will change the color of the finish. If you can, put it outside on a nice dry windy day and wash it down with a vinegar solution of about 50/50 water. The key is not to soak it so much that the wood warps or if it is veneer it may peel up.

Baking soda will absorb odors as well. Put an old towel in the drawer and pour baking soda over it. (I'm always cautious so that's why I suggest a towel or old fabric. Even though soda is very timid, it may leave some sort of blemish on the finish, especially if it is older.)

If that doesn't work, then you can refinish the piece. It's a lot of work, but the upside is you can choose a slightly different color stain.... :d:

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Wash it with soap and water, wipe it down with white vinegar first. I don't mean take the hose to it, get a bucket and some dishwashing liquid and wipe it down. then a bucket of plain water and rinse it. let it sit in the breeze for a while. It probably has nicotine on the outside surface more than anything. Unless it's finished with something like shellac, it should wash off with no problem.

·
Comfortably Numb
763 Posts
As said, wash the outside with a vinegar/water solution. Put a disposable aluminum pan filled with charcoal in each drawer for a few days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts