Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Me too. My wife is the super saver. A while back she bought some puffer thing that blows germ killer into the air - or something. Out of curiosity I asked what it cost? Her answer - "a lot less than one of your tires". LOL Lesson learned - never question what the wife spends.
I did the same thing awhile ago about one of her purchases. Her response was spot on as your wife, "a lot less than the expensive toys you buy".
She saves and watches the budget. So when she buys her little trinkets I keep my mouth shut.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
My wife and I are both reasonable with money. We don't tightly budget, but we don't spend excessively either. We could definitely save more and do better but we do alright with minimal effort. I make 90% of the money and pay all the bills. I'm sure I spend more on other stuff than she realizes but I work hard for it so she doesn't care much. Only thing she really gives me shit about is the dirt bike I bought this summer. Apparently since I got my son's CRF50 for cheap from a coworker she thought mine would be too :LOL: I just remind her that it came from my barn fund and she lets it go. Probably gonna sell it before long anyway since it doesn't get much use.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
In my 20's and early 30's I was horrible spender. Made it through college by racking up a ton of school loan and credit card debit. In my marriage, my wife and I both had pretty decent incomes so I just spent and spent without budgeting and without caring if there was even money for me to spend. Financially my divorce was the best thing that ever happened to me. In an instant I had to figure out how to budget, get my spending in check, but also with all that still find a way to chase my dreams. Happy to say I figured it out. Went from nothing in savings and living check to check, to now I have good chuck of money in my savings as well as a savings account for my kids. Also I've found a way to build a buggy along the way.

·
Desert Rat
7,182 Posts
As a young man, I had a few goals.
1: Buy a home before age 30.
2: Pay off the home before age 50.
3: Retire at age 50.
4: Spend as much time enjoying retirement as I did earning it.
One out of four ain’t bad…

CAUTION***PROFANITY
there is a lot to be said for the following paradigm.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I think a lot of people still use Mint. I know I got skeered and my tinfoil hat forced me back to using spreadsheets to track expenses so I don't use Mint, Quicken, Googs, or anything else.
I feel the same way. I signed up for Mint years ago, and when they wanted my bank account login info...that was the end of that. That was a long time ago and I guess I'm a little more open about giving out my info. I dunno...maybe I need to just figure out a way to access my Excel file on my cell phone.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,873 Posts
I feel the same way. I signed up for Mint years ago, and when they wanted my bank account login info...that was the end of that. That was a long time ago and I guess I'm a little more open about giving out my info. I dunno...maybe I need to just figure out a way to access my Excel file on my cell phone.
You can get excel for android, I have it on my phone; not sure about iphone though

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. I myself prefer food vs money. Someday Ill learn I reckon.
There he is.... I wondered where you've been lately.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
As far as supply chain problems and inflation goes, I saw, or sat in meetings about this happening last March while I was still at Stellantis.

Our home is paid for. I'll finance a happy meal at 0% though. The wifes Grand Cherokee is at .9%, and idc what Dave Ramsey's thinks of it, or what happened to the value the minute we drove it off the lot. It's a depreciating asset, not an investment.

There's value in having a nice thing. There's value in the security that comes with knowing that thing will start, and run, for years without problem, and if it doesn't, the Jeep Wave will come pick it up and bring her a new one.

We have very little "cash" or cash savings. Anytime we have cash, we invest it in tangible things. At this point, we have 2 multi-family homes we rent apartments in, and 4 lots that are rented to people in mobile homes. Whatever happens to the dollar, doesn't matter to those investments, rent just goes up, or sales price goes up.

We have the equipment to make biodiesel, and do. I drive for 65 cents a gallon. We have the equipment to can, dehydrate, and freeze dry our food. We grow a large portion ourselves, the meat we rent space on a friends farm and run chickens, pigs, and cows through.

Most of what we do, and have been doing for 5 years now, is focusing on becoming as self sufficient as possible. Obviously we can't completely unplug from society, but I can tell you 13.99/lb T-bones have not been a thing for us.

We have money in our rentals, in crypto, in precious metals, in collectibles, and we both do little side flips as well.

IMO, anyone trying to literally sit on a bin of money like Scrooge McDuck is mad nowadays.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts