Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Classy Bitch
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So long story short, I consider myself an honest do right citizen, I work, I pay taxes and I have never been in any criminal or finacial legal trouble.

This has suddenly changed as of Friday however because I was served

The city of walker if suing me.
Their reason and I quote "defendent did not pay income taxes during the yer 2013 and has failed to comply with attempts to resolve this matter."

This is the FIRST time I was contacted about anything!!!!!

I now have to show up in court next Thursday with hardly any time to prepare or file a counter suit. I called the court house the costs which are being brought to the table are totally some 600 dollars. WTF

I have no idea what to expect, I looke around online and all the info and assistance is for the plaintiff side of things.

Help me oh wise pub, is it really like the small claims court shows on tv or a whole other boat, what are the odds that they'll actually hear me out?

***also it's probably good to add I did pay my taxes that year even recived a whopping 4 dollar refun from them, my taxes were prepared by h&r block that year

So far I'm taking
-proofs Of residency dating back to 2012
-names and contact Info of all landlords
-2013 income taxes (probably take 2011 on just for good measure)
-Bank statement showing cashing or refund check

Anything else?

·
Weekend Warrior
290 Posts
Don't lose any sleep over this, first of all. It'll be OK. I would simply contact the city treasurer and see about meeting him/her with your tax return. If they want to meet you in court anyway that's fine. From your $4 return, it sounds like the tax prep was good.

You have proof. What is theirs? If you are in the wrong because of bad tax prep after all, at least ask for any interest to be removed since you made a legitimate attempt to pay your taxes, and offer to pay installments. You are your own attorney there, and don't feel in the wrong to ask for what you want in the end. The judge or magistrate may award some or all of a claim based on the testimony (facts). Whenever you are in court, ALWAYS address the judge as "your honor". Keep cool, take notes on what the plaintiff is saying while they are talking if you need to, and defend yourself against those points using factual information. Bring your pen and paper.

I have been to small claims twice and won twice, both times as Plaintiff. It's all about who has their stuff together and brings the best case. Sounds like you have everything in order. Do bring the last few returns if you paid city taxes in them.

One more thing. Always use a CPA. Block, Liberty and the like usually have only one CPA per office while people who have a certificate in tax prep do most of the returns. Kinda like trusting an engine rebuild to the oil change. Just my two cents. Good luck.

·
Web Wheeler !
1,089 Posts
Check with H&R about this also. They made a mistake on my taxes and they paid everything but the actual difference .
I guess mistakes are made but it really sucks.

·
Classy Bitch
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't H&R claim they'll back you up if/when this type of thing happens?
That's what I thought I even paid or some error protection thing but they are dragging their feet and I only have a week and I can't magically come up with over 600 to get it dismissed in time

Dumb question....maybe but I really don't know, can this in any way shape or form result in me being arrested or charge with tax evasion or something

·
Weekend Warrior
290 Posts
That's what I thought I even paid or some error protection thing but they are dragging their feet and I only have a week and I can't magically come up with over 600 to get it dismissed in time

Dumb question....maybe but I really don't know, can this in any way shape or form result in me being arrested or charge with tax evasion or something
Do you believe that you owe the $600? Seems like a lot of error if so. Even if they win, that does not mean that you are going to jail (seriously, that is not even an option) or that you have to pay on the spot. You likely won't even know the judgement for days. So rest easy. Worst case scenario is that you ignore their collections attempts if they win and they get a court ordered garnishment on your wages or lein on your house if you own one in the city. It's not over till it's over. You can bring any witnesses such as a person from H&R-I'd ask for their office manager to go with you to court. You'll be fine.

·
Classy Bitch
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you believe that you owe the $600? Seems like a lot of error if so. Even if they win, that does not mean that you are going to jail (seriously, that is not even an option) or that you have to pay on the spot. You likely won't even know the judgement for days. So rest easy. Worst case scenario is that you ignore their collections attempts if they win and they get a court ordered garnishment on your wages or lein on your house if you own one in the city. It's not over till it's over. You can bring any witnesses such as a person from H&R-I'd ask for their office manager to go with you to court. You'll be fine.
No I don't believe I owe them a dime, I payed my taxes that year and the other years I lived there, I moved in 2013 yet they've been collecting taxes on me since, I've tried several times to fix the over paying them and now theyre claiming I owe them even more.

Hell if anyone owes anyone they owe me from Oct 2013 through the end of the year because I moved to the northeast side of Grand Rapids

·
Classy Bitch
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is all so frustrating since I've been an "adult" I've had problem after problem with things and people messing shit up, wheres the handbook when you need it!

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Welcome to adulthood where the government can declare you guilty.

I assume the Walker has a city tax, based on what you say. If so, was the $6.00 refund from Walker?

·
Classy Bitch
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to adulthood where the government can declare you guilty.

I assume the Walker has a city tax, based on what you say. If so, was the $6.00 refund from Walker?
Yes they do, at the time I resided in walker and worked in Grand Rapids so each got a certain percent. It was like that for the two years before as well and there were no issues

And yes the 4 dollar return was from walker I got like 8 from gr that year

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
If, for some reason, at small claims court they win, and you have to pay a lot of money, ask the judge to file a motion for payments, and the amount you could reasonably pay. Figure this ahead of time, just in case. The court will direct you to fill out a motion paper, but it would keep you from being garnished, which can really hurt.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
You dnr pay income taxes based on where you live. You pay them based on where you work. No one cares if you moved out of walker, they care if you still work in walker

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
You dnr pay income taxes based on where you live. You pay them based on where you work. No one cares if you moved out of walker, they care if you still work in walker
rong.

If you live in Detroit, you pay Detroit city taxes, even if you work in the suburbs. Sounds like Walker has the same situation. She lived in Walker and worked in Grand Rapids.

·
Classy Bitch
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wrong!
Some city's require you to apparently. I have never worked in walker neither had my parents and we all had to pay into both

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Why when I do my income taxes does it never ask me if I lived in any of the cities that require you to pay income taxes, only if I worked in them?

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Why when I do my income taxes does it never ask me if I lived in any of the cities that require you to pay income taxes, only if I worked in them?
Because your address says you don't live in a city that collects resident taxes. :fish:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts