Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Sin Tax on pop, yay or nay.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is a dietician. She would support an idea of a sin tax on pop. I think this is a great idea for gaining money for the state. What do you think about it?

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any pop in general (ie carbonated) candy could be included, but pop is really the important one because it is "abused" the most.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I'm not going to say yes, but I'm also not going to say I drink 5 Mt. Dews a day.

I hardly drink pop as it is, I just don't think there should be a sin tax on it.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not going to say yes, but I'm also not going to say I drink 5 Mt. Dews a day.

I hardly drink pop as it is, I just don't think there should be a sin tax on it.
why?

·
Glad I'm not Gay J. Hall!
3,090 Posts
i thought no when i lived there, but since then i quit drinking pop. also be thankful they don't tax food! they tax food out here in Idaho, so everything you buy get's taxed, but if i drive 30 miles to montana there is no sales tax on anything, they just pay higher income tax.

·
Big Member
687 Posts
OK Then how about bottle water? That is a real waste of monet and if people are willing to spend 1.00 on it now they will pay more.

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
x2

I thought it was a free country. We can have things that you consider a "sin" without having to pay extra for it.

What if I decide that bread is a sin? Should you have to pay extra for that as well?

If you want to earn money for the state try putting people back to work. They can pay taxes and the state will get their money without robbing us.

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
x2

I thought it was a free country. We can have things that you consider a "sin" without having to pay extra for it.

What if I decide that bread is a sin? Should you have to pay extra for that as well?

If you want to earn money for the state try putting people back to work. They can pay taxes and the state will get their money without robbing us.
It's not actually called a sin tax, but thats what it basically is. I don't know if they're already doing it for other things but theres talk of them taxing movies, golf and all sorts of extra curricular activities that aren't "necessities."

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
It's not actually called a sin tax, but thats what it basically is. I don't know if they're already doing it for other things but theres talk of them taxing movies, golf and all sorts of extra curricular activities that aren't "necessities."
I just read that they have passed the 6% service tax

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
isnt there a sin tax on off road tires?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts