Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been there in about 12 years. What camp grounds are the best up there. It's just going to be us guys going up, so we're going to want to party after playing in the dunes all day. Thanks!

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Val du was pretty tame when I stayed there. There were no wet tshirts contests, I heard nobody having sex, etc. all this has happened there before while I stayed there. Flexin and I did not get harassed.

But they really do seem like the most flexible of the campgrounds I called.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
We stayed at Val du lakes last weekend, no complaint but they did mess up our reservation. We were supposed to be in a group with some friends, instead we got put in a spot at the end of the lane in a tent area. I have a 32' 5th wheel, we had to move a couple fire pits and tables to make it fit. No vehicle traffic after 11 but they dont care about noise. A few campsites over got rowdy one night and were given a warning but I thought it was fair.
I'd stay at val du again.

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, I'll have to look into that camp ground. We're not going to get too rowdy but I don't want to piss off a family because we are up until 1 or 2 in the morning drinking beer around the fire.

·
Registered
730 Posts
val du campground will be best for partying. you can ask on silver lake forum and most likely hear the same.
Not anymore. Many people will never go back there, myself included. There was a post on the silver lake face book page a few weeks back with lots of people having issues with val du.

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts
ValDu used to be the party place for sure but I haven't stayed there in about 7 years when it kept changing owners. I've had friends stay there recently without issue.

Usually I end up staying at Silver Lake Resort and Campground, nice place with good spots, really nice bathrooms and pool, nice shop out front, etc. Hanging out around a campfire being reasonably quiet and respectful should be no problem, but if you get loud they'll come and talk to you. 4 years or so ago I was there with a big group and we all got in trouble because 2 or 3 people couldn't keep it quiet for more than 5 minutes. I've stayed there quite a few times since then without issue. We'll hang out and drink a few beers, but nothing too crazy.

·
Monkey Crawler
8,114 Posts
ValDu used to be the party place for sure but I haven't stayed there in about 7 years when it kept changing owners. I've had friends stay there recently without issue.

Usually I end up staying at Silver Lake Resort and Campground, nice place with good spots, really nice bathrooms and pool, nice shop out front, etc. Hanging out around a campfire being reasonably quiet and respectful should be no problem, but if you get loud they'll come and talk to you. 4 years or so ago I was there with a big group and we all got in trouble because 2 or 3 people couldn't keep it quiet for more than 5 minutes. I've stayed there quite a few times since then without issue. We'll hang out and drink a few beers, but nothing too crazy.
I would NOT recommend Silver lake Resort and campground to anyone, had a bad experience. Try Val Du :thumb:eek:r PM Liv2MX to see if you can stay at his place before going to Silver lake and Resort

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts
I would NOT recommend Silver lake Resort and campground to anyone, had a bad experience. Try Val Du :thumb:eek:r PM Liv2MX to see if you can stay at his place before going to Silver lake and Resort
Care to fill us in? I like the place a lot so I'm curious to hear if there's a good reason that I shouldn't.

·
Sand Slut
1,522 Posts
I prefer Silver Hills, but it is not the party place.

You can go have a good time and drink etc, but don't get rowdy, and STFU and turn the music off after quiet time and you are good.

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Was kicked out of silver hills and Val du both over Memorial Day. Basically said don't come back and wouldn't even let us pass thru the camp ground once we left their bar and spent who knows much there.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I prefer Silver Hills, but it is not the party place.

You can go have a good time and drink etc, but don't get rowdy, and STFU and turn the music off after quiet time and you are good.
Fuck Silver Hills. I am pretty sure that is the place I stayed that has the toll gate when you enter. The owner mans it like a rent a cop with a chip on his shoulder.

First the owner comes out screaming at us when we roll in at 11:30 at night - when we called ahead and told him we would be. He said we were being noisy, the only noise being made was the Duramax diesel as a friend jockeyed their trailer into place.

THEN we got WAY overcharged and they would not correct it - by over $100

Left a really bad impression.

·
787 Posts
Fuck Silver Hills. I am pretty sure that is the place I stayed that has the toll gate when you enter. The owner mans it like a rent a cop with a chip on his shoulder.

First the owner comes out screaming at us when we roll in at 11:30 at night - when we called ahead and told him we would be. He said we were being noisy, the only noise being made was the Duramax diesel as a friend jockeyed their trailer into place.

THEN we got WAY overcharged and they would not correct it - by over $100

Left a really bad impression.
Sounds like every campgrounds that we stayed at when we first started going to Silver Lake. They sure know how to take the fun out of camping.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts