Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Durango-space-division
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so here is the new build.

Basic rundown on it:
I picked up a 97 sidekick sport with a blown engine for next to nothing, not rotted out like every other one. Threw a rod out the side of the block but I drove it on the trailer, a/c even still worked.

I had a suzuki aerio 2.3 laying around, so it was the perfect fit for this rig. Nice jump from 120hp stock with the 1.8 to 155hp.

Goals is to build a comfortable and capible rig that can get me across the country to the rubicon and moab and back.

Phase 1 (done)
Swap the engine, rocker chop rock sliders, spool in the rear, snorkel, throw on a small lift and 31s and wheel it until I gather all the parts for phase 2

Phase 2:
Toyota axle swap, 5.71 gears, chromo shafts, lockers, and IFS hubs with 4 wheel disk brakes
35 inch tires
3 link front and 4 link rear on 2.5x12" locked off-road coilovers
4:1 transfer case gears
Plate bumpers/winch
Basic roll cage

·
Durango-space-division
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a set of toyota axles I picked up on the cheap, looks to be a pre 83 short gusset front axle and a 86+ ifs rear axle. I've had IFS hubs and brakes sitting on the shelf waiting for a build like this to come together.

·
Gustafson
10,085 Posts
Nice work so far!

You don't see a lot of these on the road anymore. Looks like you found a decent one.

·
Durango-space-division
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some updates, months later. I wasn't happy with the performance on the stock style lifted setup, so I front and back halfed the frame, installed a Toyota ifs steering box, 3 link front and 4 link rear with 2.5" johnny joints, built up the rear axle housing, front still has some trussing to do. Also picked up something exciting, a doubler setup that cuts down the tracker transfer case and mates it to a Toyota gear drive transfer case. Stronger, solves driveshaft length and size issues, and double low will be fantastic.

I still have lots to do, but I feel like I'm getting closer.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Durango-space-division
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, can't wait to get back out wheeling again.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,686 Posts
Looks great!!! How difficult is/was the motor swap?

·
Durango-space-division
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great!!! How difficult is/was the motor swap?
Essentially it involves swapping the 1.8 intake/exhaust manifold/coolant tube/engine mounts/accessories onto the 2.3, and putting the 2.3 injectors onto the 1.8 intake. The 2.3 injector harness plugs right into the factory 1.8 harness so no need to change individual plugs. The 1.8 coils need to be put into the 2.3 as well. it's pretty straight forward. The 2.3 does not have a provision for the mechanical fan, so you have to run electric. Not a big deal since the 1.8 fans are known for kerploding for no reason. The swap will work for sidekick sports with the 1.8 and any 2nd gen tracker with the 2.0

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,686 Posts
^^^^ Thanks, I imagine it is a more difficult swap coming from a 1.6?

·
Durango-space-division
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^^ Thanks, I imagine it is a more difficult swap coming from a 1.6?
Yeah, you would need custom motor mounts and a standalone harness to swap from a 1.6, and at that point I'd keep the aerio 2.3 engine control setup and accessories to retain the correct tune and knock sensor. The trans bellhousing is the same pattern but the flywheels are different. It's worth the swap if you can find the stuff you need for reasonable prices.

·
Durango-space-division
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Rolled it outside with blocks between the frame and axles, roughly at 4 inches of uptravel to full bump in the front. Other than the factory Toyota wheels, I absolutely love the look of it so far. Hopefully I can go to some machined finish method beadlocks in the future and ditch the wheel spacers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts