Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
no
nuclear (or nucular if you prefer) is the only answer
replace the older plants with newer/cleaner/more efficient ones, but no "more" coal

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
why not more wind and other renewable energy first? no toxic waste to deal with...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
why not more wind and other renewable energy first? no toxic waste to deal with...
Isnt spent nuclear material recyclable?

And after spending some time out west Ive grown to dislike windmills. Driving thru a mountain pass near barstow california and seeing what WOULD have been a beautiful view of the mountains polluted by windmills as far as the eye can see, no thanks. I dont need that in my backyard.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts

·
Im Rick James Bitch
1,461 Posts
Build anything that will put Michigan residents back to work. Lets build a big fence to keep us all in together, and a big ass catapult to eject granmole. HAHA I said HAHA

·
Registered
163 Posts
Isnt spent nuclear material recyclable?

And after spending some time out west Ive grown to dislike windmills. Driving thru a mountain pass near barstow california and seeing what WOULD have been a beautiful view of the mountains polluted by windmills as far as the eye can see, no thanks. I dont need that in my backyard.
we have mountain passes in MI? stick windmills on the top of the existing telephone poles (small ones of course), at the end of farmers fields (a wind brake that generates electricity!) throw up a few new water reservoir things like they have in ludington and be done with it. being surrounded by the great lakes means we have coastal winds every day. why not use it to our gain?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
we have mountain passes in MI? stick windmills on the top of the existing telephone poles (small ones of course), at the end of farmers fields (a wind brake that generates electricity!) throw up a few new water reservoir things like they have in ludington and be done with it. being surrounded by the great lakes means we have coastal winds every day. why not use it to our gain?
Cause its fugly and I dont think that between the cost of putting a windmill up and amount of energy you get from a windmill is worth it. Just my opinion. You're just lucky I dont have control over these things:sonicjay:

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Wind mills are obnoxius. Down where I work in illinois they are building around 60 of them in corn feilds. There loud and unsightly, and taking up a good chunk of farm land.

If you think you can install 3 80ft blades atop a tellephone poll, you need to move to cali with the rest of the fruits and nuts...

Coal or nuclear, either way, I would get to move home, or atleast a bit closer. Id say coal, there have been alot of improvements in the name of emmisions control.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am a fan of wind energy. Do you think a nuclear plant isn't going to be "unsightly"? As to the whole wind farm taking up farm land..... well, I'd rather see that than more houses going up. If a farmer sells his last, must not have been that great of a farm anyway.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I am a fan of wind energy. Do you think a nuclear plant isn't going to be "unsightly"? As to the whole wind farm taking up farm land..... well, I'd rather see that than more houses going up. If a farmer sells his last, must not have been that great of a farm anyway.
ahh, then how many windmills to one nuke plant - that is the question:thumb:

·
Mall Crawler
2,632 Posts
The thing with coal, its easy and cheap.

The problem with nuclear, its very expensive.

A new coal plant will probably cost hundreds of millions, where as a nuclear plant will cost closer to a billion. Thats why we really havent seen any new ones in decades. And either way, coal or uranium, the hippies are going to be pissed.

I live next to both the coal and nuke plant on lake erie (and have been in both), and I can say the coal plant is dirtbag filthy, and the nuke plant's "cloud machines" are menacing. They also get a bit scary when the sirens go off (last summer was the last one IIRC).

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
I say that about electric cars and I get e-raped on this board :(

And that still doesnt take away from them being fugly.
You won't get that from me. These technologies are only going to get better. They do have a nice payoff, although it may seem like a long time. The more of the people who can afford to invest in these types of technologies will make them more viable for the rest of us in the future. Just like the growth of computers. They may be inefficient and expensive now, but if we don't jump on them, they may never progress.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
1,658 Posts
Anybody ever seen the wind gens at Mackinac? Yeah their big, but I don't consider them unsightly. It's great resource that needs to be taken adventage of, same with solar. As for coal, it's come a long way! I work in a coal fired plant, just in the last couple years we've made tons of changes/upgrades to limit the amount of emissions. Just 3 years ago we had 6 stacks that would have plainly visable smoke coming out. Now, They've all been combined into a baghouse which knocks out all those particulants. Coal technology is really getting better by leaps and bounds!!!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts