Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the bug has gotten to me again to finally go and finish my degree. I began it 13 years ago :( I know I will never finish it by piecing together a part time school schedule; if I do it, I go back full time. I have 2 years of full time classes left.

Now the "obstacles". I have a good job which pays well considering the amount of work I do. Savings, 401k's, etc are growing well. However I still need to pay some living expenses and would need some sort of income and my current career area is not very conducive to a school schedule. That and a new baby at home.

Now the real question. Would you drop everything (work, savings, etc), take out $40k in loans and go back to school for only 2 years?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
conventional wisdom is that tapping your 401k, today valued at 4.01k, is not a good idea. can you go at night and not give up your job? a lot depends on how many credits will be accepted from your prior studies. also, what field is your concentration and what is your current occupation? do they dovetail? if so, would your employer give you some flexibility in taking day time classes?

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
conventional wisdom is that tapping your 401k, today valued at 4.01k, is not a good idea. can you go at night and not give up your job? a lot depends on how many credits will be accepted from your prior studies. also, what field is your concentration and what is your current occupation? do they dovetail? if so, would your employer give you some flexibility in taking day time classes?
we would not be tapping the 401k. That would just have less put into it each week that I do not work.

My current job is restaurant management. I work days or nights depending on needs. I don't have a regular 9-5 I can schedule around.

My degree would be in Biology. Unless I pursue any graduate studies after the B.S. I won't make too much more than I currently am/ can.

Like I said I have 2 full time years left or about 70 credit hours. Everything that is still able to be transferred has been transferred already.

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
My wife quit her $15 an hour , full benefits job. To go back to school 3 years ago. But it was a dead end job . She will be an RN in June. So it will work out well for us. But I have a good job with over 20 years. But it has not been easy. No real vacations, toys had to go, and money is tight. Especially since I had to go off on comp. Which meant no OT. With my wife she has already been offered a job making twice what she did. So that was the right decision for us in the long run. So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is a degree going to be worth the 2-3yrs of scraping by? Does your wife have a job that is secure with benefits? Because no health care and a baby is not going to be easy. I admire someone willing to make the sacrifice to go back to school but it will be tough on you and your wife . I know in a couple months it will all be worth it for us but it has been tough.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do credits stick around that long? I thought it was like three years or something before they expire.

(please correct me if I am wrong)
It's a little longer than that. About a year ago I transferred everything I could to Madonna and had a 2 year plan laid out for me. Now that the transfer credits are there, they will stick for a little while longer.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is a degree going to be worth the 2-3yrs of scraping by? That's why I am asking everyone's opinions. I have a tough time convincing myself of it. Does your wife have a job that is secure with benefits? Yes, she does. Currently the "bread winner" and insurance carrier. Because no health care and a baby is not going to be easy. I admire someone willing to make the sacrifice to go back to school but it will be tough on you and your wife . I know in a couple months it will all be worth it for us but it has been tough.
my responses in red.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I say go for it. I have been out for around 6 years and am going back in May. I think it will be well worth it and something I will regret the rest of my life if I do not. JMHO

·
Last Free Man
10,836 Posts
What are you goint to do with you BA in Biology?

You'll have three main choices after obtaining that diploma:
1. Go to grad school/or different degree
2. Get a job as a salesperson for pharmaceutical company
3. Go back to restaurant business.

Meanwhile you will have foregone 2 years of income and incurred $40k debt.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

There's a few other options out there other than that :whiz:

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
I guess what made are decision easier was my wife was not happy at her job. It was at the hospital and she liked her co-workers but the work was mind numbing and she was stuck where she was . I love my job and hated the thought of her spending the next 20 yrs stuck. I know alot of people who wasted years hating their job but being stuck. You know you make decent money and benefits too good of a job to quit but not a good enough job to stay. Like I said it has not been easy but we will make it. We are a much stronger family now. We have struggled and gone with out but my wife is so excited to be an RN. A Lot of people said it was stupid for her to quit a good job and she would regret it. But she proved them wrong. If going back to school is what you want to do and your wife is behind you . Go for it. The last few years have been tough but it has gone fast. Only 19 more weeks of school and are lives will really change. We did it with 5 kids and one income . If you do go back Good Luck . It will be hard at times but if that is what you want then go for it.

·
Last Free Man
10,836 Posts
I guess what made are decision easier was my wife was not happy at her job. It was at the hospital and she liked her co-workers but the work was mind numbing and she was stuck where she was . I love my job and hated the thought of her spending the next 20 yrs stuck. I know alot of people who wasted years hating their job but being stuck. You know you make decent money and benefits too good of a job to quit but not a good enough job to stay. Like I said it has not been easy but we will make it. We are a much stronger family now. We have struggled and gone with out but my wife is so excited to be an RN. A Lot of people said it was stupid for her to quit a good job and she would regret it. But she proved them wrong. If going back to school is what you want to do and your wife is behind you . Go for it. The last few years have been tough but it has gone fast. Only 19 more weeks of school and are lives will really change. We did it with 5 kids and one income . If you do go back Good Luck . It will be hard at times but if that is what you want then go for it.

If he was going for RN, I would be echoing your words and telling him to quit his job today.

·
Registered
493 Posts

x2

I have a co-worker whose wife graduated last May with her biology degree. I don't know what she has applied for how well she interviews but she has found nothing in that field. Last I knew she was working at Target but got laid off after the holidays.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Check into online schooling. I decided to go to Walden University's online school because of the felxible schedule and the course offerings. I go quarterly which is more work because you still cover the entire book and this way you only have 6 weeks to do it. I spend around 10 hours per class per week on average. I take two classes and spend two late nights at work to avoid the interuptions of 3 kids and a wife at home (I can't focus when they want to play because I'd rather do that). I also spend a long evening on the weekends. Walden is cheap by comparison too. I think I pay less than $1200 per class including books.

My credits all transfered after almost 16 years off so I don't think they expire.

I'd look more seriously at going part time while you work but each to his own.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
i graduated BA biology in 2006, went straight to grad school along with the rest of my classmates (grad with 10 others in our bio program, small NAIA school). bio is a hard degree to apply.

tough decision, don't knwo what to tell you, if it were a nursing or something similar it may be more of a yes, do it now type answer, but just bio is difficult.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
You have a hot sugar momma stay home with the kid, teach them to wrench and drink beer. Vacuum as needed :teehee:

All depends on wages, if you think you can double your wage go for it. But 40k more in schooling is an awful lot for 2 years IMO for minimal return. My U of M Flint Bio degree was ~26k OTD paying cash over the last 10 years.

A plain old Bio degree opens some doors, but honestly not a lot you can do for more then 35-40k a year without some specializing or further schooling. At least I have not found a lot that I am interested in.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

X3 you will be washing dishes and making media/setting up labs with a BA in Biology. Like Jeepman, I also went on to Grad School to avoid doing dishes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts