Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get tired of loading and unloading an 8 ' camper for a 1 or 2 night deal so i put this together . Takes 2 mnutes to toss in the bed and shelf above and im ready to go . Shelf is 3/4 plywood to store clothes cook stove blah blah .

Yes im proud of my 2 day project which included sanding and painting the topper .:sonicjay:

Cost 220.00 for a used topper 56.oo for paint supplies . Bed is the couch cushions from an old motor home . Cost zero , plywood is left over from another project .

Outside photo is of the color matching from my other thread .

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
beats the shit out of a tent if ya ask me .
You aren't kidding. I had my ranger set up like that for years. I had a hunk of 4" foam cut to fit between the wheelwells. It was cool because you had all the room on each side of the wheelwells to store junk.

I was just poking fun at you with the banjo thing.. :d:

I'm going to try and build one of these..

·
Mall Rated
1,587 Posts
I have a box in the front of my truck to store extra oil and crap in the front of my bed. I just throw my futon matress in the truck bed and use the box as a night stand. works awesome. With an 8ft bed it beats a tent for a night or 2.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You aren't kidding. I had my ranger set up like that for years. I had a hunk of 4" foam cut to fit between the wheelwells. It was cool because you had all the room on each side of the wheelwells to store junk.

I was just poking fun at you with the banjo thing.. :d:

I'm going to try and build one of these..
You can buy one of them up by the Mounds, I saw it for sale on the way there (Mt. Morris Rd.).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I get tired of loading and unloading an 8 ' camper for a 1 or 2 night deal so i put this together . Takes 2 mnutes to toss in the bed and shelf above and im ready to go . Shelf is 3/4 plywood to store clothes cook stove blah blah .

Yes im proud of my 2 day project which included sanding and painting the topper .:sonicjay:

Cost 220.00 for a used topper 56.oo for paint supplies . Bed is the couch cushions from an old motor home . Cost zero , plywood is left over from another project .

Outside photo is of the color matching from my other thread .
Need a gun rack to put your guns in case the ***** try to get yer food.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
buy a new small utility trailer and go up from there . Should be easy enough to do .
I already built the trailer. 2" square tubing with a 4" square tube tongue. I had it weighed and plated without the heavy stuff on it.

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
Yep, I've camped in the back of both of my Suburbans, my Explorer and Expedition. Air mattres fits perfect in them. Last year was the first year I tented it at the Pig Roast....slept in vehicles the first two years. Not sure what I'll camp in this year:tonka:

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
when i was growing up we had this sweet insert for the back of the truck, which i used for along time in my truck.

It was made up of plywood and had 2 long bench's that ran along the sides of the bed. The seats lifted up for storage underneath the bench's.
The benchs had kleats on the inside edge and on the floor of the truck were plywood inserts covered in 4" thick foam and then also carpeted. You could leave them on the floor or move them up to the kleats for an elevated surface.

I used to leave the front most one elevated to stow gear under and then the other 2 left down for a bed. Was great for camping.

·
One shot, One Kill
462 Posts
Grandman..... I can tell that you are short. If you can lay flat in the back of a short box truck with the tailgate shut you have accomplished more than I am able to do. I am 6'4" standing. I am only able to sleep diagonally in a regular bed, so if I were to do something like this it would have to be a longbox. Just my $.02 worth of jiborish for the evening. BTM.

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
your not kidding. i can and have pulled it off in my xj too. take that rear seat out or fold in down, then i threw a smaller matress out of the pop up in there and layed diagonoly. my back certainly felt much better the next day

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grandman..... I can tell that you are short. If you can lay flat in the back of a short box truck with the tailgate shut you have accomplished more than I am able to do. I am 6'4" standing. I am only able to sleep diagonally in a regular bed, so if I were to do something like this it would have to be a longbox. Just my $.02 worth of jiborish for the evening. BTM.
Your 6' 4 " , a short box is 6' 5" ??

A long box is much nicer i agree but its not what i have .

Im 5' 8" < average American . Your a freak ,,,,,,, just kidding

1 - 18 of 18 Posts