Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought someone else's unfinished project because I thought it could be pretty cool.
This started out at a 1997 Chevy AT&T utility truck.
P/O cut the frame and moved the axle forward already, but I wasn't happy with the way it wasn't centered in the wheel well, so I cut it back out, moved it 1 1/2 inches forward.

I have the truck blown apart, and the frame is going to sand blaster tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grille is molded dark grey, but will be painted body color. I am planning on blue/white.
I am going to use the 350 that I took out of my other Dually for the cummins swap.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate welding upside down, it amazes me how many times I have had flying slag land in my ear (always the right ear because I am right handed)

·
Registered
845 Posts
shit mother fuck nothing worse than a nice piece of molten metal sizzling against your ear drum. ear plugs are a good choice for welding anyways since grinding is loud

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Finally got the frame back from the blaster. Prepping it for paint.
I love working on clean stuff!

·
Square Peg
258 Posts
Is this where your interest in the narrowed flares came from? (Obvious question lol) I'm strongly considering going single wheel, maybe in the spring my flares will become useless to me...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I really like the look of your narrowed Dually fenders. I like duallies, but they are so big and inconvenient. I like the idea of having a Dually, but a more convenient Dually.
I already bought some Dually fenders to cut down, but I bet getting the body line right.... Sucks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Progress has been slow, but I have the brake lines run, fuel lines and fuel tank in place, I still have to put straps and anchors to hold them from wiggling. Welded up the exhaust today.
I had to order an oil filter relocation kit, since the old style block wouldn't accept the angled oil filter housing, and the DSD differential is right where I wanted the oil filter to be.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I got the cab on, and the engine running. I had some flow masters sitting on the shelf from an old build, they are too quiet for my taste.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The color is house of colors white, with a mid coat pearl. The truck will be two tone blue and white

1 - 20 of 32 Posts