Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,453 Posts
Thanks guys. It seems like I could go that route for much less than 2.0 coilovers, nearly half the cost? The primary concern I have is that it seems the builders rate them for light weight rigs and I hope I would not think they sucked after installing them.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,125 Posts
Thanks guys. It seems like I could go that route for much less than 2.0 coilovers, nearly half the cost? The primary concern I have is that it seems the builders rate them for light weight rigs and I hope I would not think they sucked after installing them.
If you want to leave the door open to upgrading, find a similar length coilover (eye-to-eye compressed, not travel). Then make sure you leave the OD of a 2" coilover spring area around the air shock. Figure the spring is 2.5" ID, and whatever the coil spring thickness is. For safety, probably 3.5" diameter.

Then if it does suck or your taste changes, you can pony up.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,453 Posts
I am back with more rookie questions.

1. If I was going to go 16 on one end and 14 on the other, would most go 14 up front for packaging or??

2. Who has stayed coil springs and added air bumps? Wondering how much just doing that would help??

·
Registered
399 Posts
Is this a trailer queen? If not I wouldn’t put air shocks on it, if trailer Queen I still think you will hate air shocks on all four corners. If you are currently coil springs why ya wanting to upgrade?
14’s up front
And air bumps cost almost as much as air shocks so I think that be a waste

And what exactly are you looking for as a end result? Performance? Or keeping up with cool kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,453 Posts
^^^ Thanks.

It is not a trailer queen. I run an offroad sway bar in the front. I am currently running standard oem style coils.

I am aware that coilovers seem to be the most popular, but some people seem to think air-shocks work pretty good.

Air bumps seem to be highly recommended with whatever option I go with? One of the members here actually posted that they helped his ride pretty good while staying oem style coils... Debatting on trying that first. My junk rides decent, just looking to make it better and I find part of the fun for me is doing it without braking the bank (read, I am cheap lol)...

End result is looking for a good ride in the dunes and for misc. trail riding. IDGAF what the cool kids think, way to old for that.

What do you have the most experience with?

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,453 Posts
^^^ Thanks :)

I am running bilsteins up front and some white shocks that strangler had on the back when I bought it. Bilsteins helped a good bit in the front.

front = xj 2 inch lift coils. 1995 s10 blazer ish bumps...
rear = 98 grand cherokee uplander rear springs. 2000 silverado bumps

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have 2 rigs that run air shocks on the rear only, I’m in no way a expert or actually that knowledgeable about coilovers/air shocks. I just know what I’ve run and my buddies have run, most of em started off on air shocks then quickly went to coilovers cause the handling issues, I’ve only had one buddy get em to work good but he had a guy tune em that knew what he was doing, and he still went coilovers within a year. My zj buggy has a ton of body roll Offroad and can flop on its side in real off camber situations. I hate it but overall it goes great, my Yj is one ton and v8. It’s handles so much better but it sits a lot lower and shocks tuned a hair. So with air shocks its a lot about tuning,
I think the air shocks will foam up on ya on the highway and perform very badly
Sounds like you are fairly happy with coils. So ya might just wanna buy bilsteins for the other end and get the air bumps in there for a softer rebound. And maybe save up for coilovers for down the road and then ya will already have good bumps. I’m a cheap ass too and do everything is stages. Every winter I upgrade something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 28 of 28 Posts