Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a point in my buggy build where I need to start thinking about shock mounting. Cant afford actual shocks yet :sonicjay: so in the mean time doing what I can. Have no clue yet what the buggy will end up weighing but its nothing fancy: tube chassis, 2 seater, 113" WB, Jeep powertrain, 1-tons, and 40's. It'll be used for variety of things: rocks, trails, dunes.

Leaning towards coilovers vs air shocks. Will I be ok with 2.0's or should I jump up to 2.5's? I can account for the different mounting widths but there is a difference in extended/collapsed lengths.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep, you'll probably find a much better selection of springs available in the rates you're after if you stick with 2.0" shocks. And you'll find them much easier to package, as you need less clearance around them.
Heat dissipation will be fine unless you're trying to go real fast.

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys :thumb:

Emulsion shocks work well enough? Any reason to go remote/piggy back reservoir or something adjustable? Dont plan on going fast other than trips to the dunes and MAYBE RBOR racing. Even the dunes trips I dont see myself ripping hot laps.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Emulsion shocks work well enough? Any reason to go remote/piggy back reservoir or something adjustable? Dont plan on going fast other than trips to the dunes and MAYBE RBOR racing. Even the dunes trips I dont see myself ripping hot laps.
I ripped a lot of hot laps my last trip out to the dunes with my TJ on fox 2.0x14" coilovers. Front has no resi's, the rear does. My rear shocks were warm to the touch but not bad, front shocks were basically air temp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts

Emulsion are longer and harder to package as a result.

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts

I agree on what everybody has said so far regarding size. I'm running 2" remote resi coilovers on my ~4500lb 1 ton TJ. I've beat the hell out of it for 30 minutes straight of hot lapping around the dunes lots of times and never not been able to hold my hand on the shock body at the end, let alone experienced any fade or degradation. And your buggy will likely be lighter. Parts will be easier and cheaper to get, spring availability is way better, packaging is much easier, and they cost a lot less. 2.5s can be tricky to tune on lighter rigs too because the larger pistons can be tough to get enough motion control at lower shaft velocities without being overdamped at higher velocities. Bilstein's digressive pistons are the best at dealing with this but it's still a tricky problem to dial in even for world-class shock tuners. Even on my 2.0s I had to put in flutter stacks to reduce harshness on some of the smaller stuff while retaining enough control, and those are really tricky to dial in too. That's mostly because my mass ratio sucks, as do pretty much all of our rigs; way too much unsprung mass compared to the low sprung mass.

I'd go remote reservoir. Price isn't much worse, they're shorter and easier to package, more oil volume will stay cleaner and cooler for longer, easier to rebuild/revalve for the most part since the nitrogen chamber is in a separate body, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't realize there was a length difference. Guess I'll see how things look with packaging shocks and go from there. I think shorter in the rear might be really helpful, front I should be able to fit whatever. Designed some mock up shocks so I can cycle the suspension, check clearances, and start mounts. Great info guys!

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
Emulsion/monotube have the oil chamber with piston rod, then above that is the floating piston(divider) and then the nitrogen chamber to help prevent aerating the oil. A remote reservoir or piggyback only has the oil chamber in the shock body and moves the floating piston and nitrogen chamber into the reservoir.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,106 Posts
I think 2.0 air shocks will do all you need. Keep in mind that they were the staple for KOH for YEARS. I've hot lapped my 5000# YJ on 2.5 air shocks and never had them heat up. You have to beat the snot out of them before they start to fade in a noticeable way. Put it this way, I did my build 12 years ago and have never felt that my shocks faded on me. I finally rebuilt them with new seals and fresh oil this year.

You can go all fancy and spend a bunch of money and at the end of the day, for your intended use, you will never know the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think 2.0 air shocks will do all you need. Keep in mind that they were the staple for KOH for YEARS. I've hot lapped my 5000# YJ on 2.5 air shocks and never had them heat up. You have to beat the snot out of them before they start to fade in a noticeable way. Put it this way, I did my build 12 years ago and have never felt that my shocks faded on me. I finally rebuilt them with new seals and fresh oil this year.

You can go all fancy and spend a bunch of money and at the end of the day, for your intended use, you will never know the difference.
2.0 air shocks are tempting based on price. But even though this is a "budget" build. Some things I'd rather not skimp on or leave to chance.

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Current plan is to buy coilovers through Accutune with the hope that the initial and follow up setup/tuning they offer with purchases gets me to where I need to be.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,434 Posts
Bump.
Looking into this down the road for my jeep. The air shocks are tempting, but what does it cost to put the system together for adjusting pressure?

The accutune stuff seems like a great option also.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I pieced my nitrogen fill kit together for like $200. I think it was like $125 for the small bottle of nitrogen from praxair, $50 for the amazon regulator and another $25 in hoses and fittings

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts