Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 XJ 4.0 and have a starting problem. I'm just looking for a little advice as far as where to start. The past few times I've driven it when it starts it idles pretty low for a few seconds and then picks up. Hmmmm weird. Now i get in this morning and won't start at all. Just turning over killin my battery. I haven't been doing any major off roading, just a little two tracking.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks,
Matt

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,273 Posts
cps???

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,273 Posts
Crank Positioning Sensor.
No fuel???
No spark??
How about a bit of trouble shooting and get back with us.

·
Certified Ypsilantian
4,608 Posts
Crank Positioning Sensor.
No fuel???
No spark??
How about a bit of trouble shooting and get back with us.

Before offering technical support. Learn what you are talking about. Crankshaft Position Sensor is NOT CPS. It's CKP. :thumb:

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,273 Posts
Actually both are used.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,273 Posts
and the world of Al Gore's internet. use the google.

anyway, check for fuel and spark, go from there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah you guys are right, I do need to do some trouble shooting. It was 3:45 a.m. this morning when it started and had to haul ass for work. Fortunately it wasn't raining too hard and the motorcycle needed a bath anyway. But just from curiosity, how would you check your crank position sensor?

Thanks again.....

Matt

·
Wheelin the HD
7,231 Posts
Is the service engine light on? if so flip the key on and off 3 times and leave it in the on position (without starting it) and it will either flash the codes on the Service engine light, or display them on the digital odometer.
Also you need to check spark and fuel, always the first things you need to check in a no start situation.

·
Certified Ypsilantian
4,608 Posts
When I got mine from Advanced Auto it was a CPS in their computer. Anywho, who fucking cares. We all knew what he was talking about.
CPS can be confused for a lot of different sensors. Hence the reason they do CKP for Crank, CMP for Camshaft.... I fucking care. CPS is the retard version, why do you think its that way at Advanced Fucking auto, for retards like you.

·
Wheelin the HD
7,231 Posts
CPS can be confused for a lot of different sensors. Hence the reason they do CKP for Crank, CMP for Camshaft.... I fucking care. CPS is the retard version, why do you think its that way at Advanced Fucking auto, for retards like you.
Your retardedness is actually kinda funny, I have never seen somebody get so bent out of shape over an acronym...

·
Wheelin the HD
7,231 Posts
An engine also needs compression to run. :thumb:
one can check Spark and fuel without a gauge, compression takes a little more effort, start easy, work your way up. not to mention most common problems are spark and fuel...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts