Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Size Matters (.)(.)
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have to outboard my springs for my D44 I am thinking of doing a shackle reversal. Has anyone had any driveshaft "length" issues after doing a reversal?

Would you recommend a shackle reversal or should I stick with the OEM set up?

Thanks

CP

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I did a shackle reversal on my 95yj with spring over and 4" front springs. I did the MORE shorty kit with the front shackle tucked up high. The kit itself was great, the on-road ride was great, the approach angle was great. Thats about all that was good with it. Hills sucked, rocks sucked and most all other obstacles where the front tires needed to pull the majority of the jeeps weight sucked.

I found this was because when you approach an obstacle, the springs are in a relaxed position, when you start it and the front tires start to pull the jeep forward, they unload the spring before ever applying forward force to move the jeep. I had pulled my front driveshaft out a few times before I did a long slip driveshaft. Then I just ended up snapping a main leaf. I did mostly rocks and hills. With hills, you would loose all momentum getting up a steep grade because your front end was unloading and the axle would basically walk out from under the jeep and the jeep wouldn't really go anywhere.

I guess using some type of limiting strap would help but the fact that with the shackle in the rear, it will have to take up all the travel in the rear shackle before your jeep starts to pull (because the axle is moving down and forward), its hard to strap it.

If i were to do it again, I would just keep the stock location.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts