Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a thread exactly like this not too long ago, and I did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for. Anyhow:

I don't think I have too much sensitive material stored on my computer... but just to be safe.. I'd like to reformat my hard drive and do a clean install of Windows.

I have heard that deleted items can be retrieved be tech savvy people..and there are programs that can be ran to make this information "more secure" Any advice?

·
EvL 1
3,566 Posts
I remember a thread exactly like this not too long ago, and I did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for. Anyhow:

I don't think I have too much sensitive material stored on my computer... but just to be safe.. I'd like to reformat my hard drive and do a clean install of Windows.

I have heard that deleted items can be retrieved be tech savvy people..and there are programs that can be ran to make this information "more secure" Any advice?
Pull your hard drive and replace it if theres something on there you dont want people to see. With the right software it can be read no matter what you do short of destroying it.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
With the price of hard drives, i just replace them.

If you really want to just erase though. You need a bootable 3rd party partitioning, or disk utility software. And have it do like a 9 pass erase.
This essentially writes a bunch of ones and zero's 9 times (maybe it's 7) and erases them.

I'd have to look deeper, but there is supposed to be a magic number of times to do that that makes any prior information as solid as Deon

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
I agree with the HDD replacement option. Or even sell without HDD.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,891 Posts
i would just either put a new HD in it and do the recovery CD install to get windows back on... Or just sell it without the HD and have them worry about it.

Things like user name and passwords get stored for sites, CC info and such. Not worth the risk these days.

·
Mall Crawler
2,632 Posts
HD's are well under $100 now. Hell, I think a mac proprietary HD with double the capacity of the one I have in my macbook now is only like $80......and mac crap usually costs 2x's what PC stuff does.

A little bit of money for a big piece of mind.

Personally, Ive removed and dismantled every HD Ive wanted rid of.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
We have a press here at the shop with a 1" diameter spike that another company uses to pop in a hole through the harddrives. It is convient cuz it is also built with a stripper so that when you raise the press it removes the spike from the harddrive with ease.

LMK

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
dban and sourceforge's "eraser" both have have military/DOD spec erasing algorithms as options - and both can be set up to create a bootable disk to perform the task.

run it 2-3 times with different options then reinstall the OS from the original source cd.

that being said, with very capable laptops brand new in the sub $500 range I have a tough time trying to figure out who buys 'em used on craigslist, at what price, and why someone would pay $100 for a new hdd to put into a $200 CL laptop.

*shrug*

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dban and sourceforge's "eraser" both have have military/DOD spec erasing algorithms as options - and both can be set up to create a bootable disk to perform the task.

run it 2-3 times with different options then reinstall the OS from the original source cd.

that being said, with very capable laptops brand new in the sub $500 range I have a tough time trying to figure out who buys 'em used on craigslist, at what price, and why someone would pay $100 for a new hdd to put into a $200 CL laptop.

*shrug*
I'm not going to put in a new harddrive... I realized that I don't have anything that personal on it that I would be concerned about. I may just download a torrent of one of these off the shelf programs that claim to wipe stuff clean. You'd be surprised how many people from Craigslist are willing to buy just about anything you have laying around. But then again and probably most importantly, I don't think that I have is gold and I have reasonable asking prices for my stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts