Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mall Rated
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching real quick here at lunch but couldn't find anything. Is there a d44 stub shaft out of another vehicle that would fit a scout axle to broaden my search for a new stub shaft until I can one day afford chromo's.

·
5,820 Posts
Tried searching real quick here at lunch but couldn't find anything. Is there a d44 stub shaft out of another vehicle that would fit a scout axle to broaden my search for a new stub shaft until I can one day afford chromo's.

I think scout is specific to scout. yukons are about $100 each and they dont open up in the ears as easily as the stockers. superiors are ideal but thats about 2x the price.... both are guaranteed

·
Mall Rated
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll eventually step up to stronger shafts and ctm's but at the moment its not in the budget. I was just curious if someone has done some swapping before and found something else that may work. I need to track down 1 stub currently to have both sides with a joint ready to swap in when they break.

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
If you need just a replacement I believe a CJ5 outer for a D30 is the same.

·
Mall Rated
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was kind of looking for something like that earlier just ran out of time at lunch. I'll look into it a little more but I thought I had heard that once before, just wondering if anyone has actually done the swap.

·
2013 King of da Moustache
2,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo
quit messing around with normal axles, everyone knows your not cool unless you have a welded d30!

Fixed

refixed!

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
one ton time. :thumb:

·
5,820 Posts
In all honesty though, if you plan on making the jeep any bigger I would look into a 60 for the front. by the time you put chromoly shafts in the 44 the only price difference between the two is really the initial cost of the axle. this is if you build it conservatively, everyone knows you can spend 6k building a junk yard 60. johnnyj is still running 30 spline outers.

save the money that you would spend on chromoly shafts for the 44, regear and lock a 60 and run it.

some peole think they need a 60, others think they can get away witout one... the way you built your jeep i think chromoly 44s would be a waste of money.

·
Mall Rated
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may just have to wait to see what my driving style is like. This is my first "real" off road rig and I haven't quite developed a style yet. The Unlimited open house was the first trial of it and obviously I can't get a driving style in a few hours time. I may end up driving like Crystal. Her 44 has held up to some pretty good abuse so far without breakage. I'm sure you've seen her on the rev limiter on her CJ a time or 2. The u joint breakage could have been a fluke thing, I did after all buy the axles from Mike, so that u joint may have stressed before the axle was put in the Jeep. I'll have to weigh my options, I have plenty of time since I can't afford chromos or 60's yet. :tonka:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts