Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first of all, who is going and who will be running their trucks?and not their mouth?
:sonicjay:
Second, I am in a predicament on what tires to run. I normally run 42" TSL and always leave it in low range. The other choice I am contemplating is 37" Iroks and run in high range. Both choices have their own benefits. For anyone who has run this event before, how fast were you getting up to (mph) going up the hill? I have never run the event or been up there so I am looking for some input.

I'm dealing with a somewhat tired 302/C4/BW1354 and 5.38's in the axles.
I was using this equation for an estimate of speed: MPH = (RPM*TIRE DIAMETER)/(GEAR RATIO*336)

With the 42's in 3rd gear low range, I get about 47 mph, while with the 37's in high range 2nd gear, I should be around 70 mph (probably wouldn't pull 3rd at all).

Any opinions?

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,044 Posts
My opinion would be post this in the tech forum instead of the pub.

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
37's for sure, and low range on the first pass. If you find you are running topped out, try high range on the second pass.

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
It's kinda like the sand at silver lake. The snow changes every year... Because you are limited on horsepower I would run what ever gives the most floatation and doesn't dig too much.

I ran it in a almost stock tj a few years ago. I ran bald 31 cooper stt and brand new 32 km2s. I used 3rd gear low lock with both tires , and made it to the top 4 out of 5 times.
I don't think I ever went faster then 35-40 mph . The moguls get big rather quickly.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
You need to source a set of power cats or just don't even bother entering the competition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts