Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im in the market for another folder to carry. i think i have decided that i want one that is an open assist knife. i dont know much about them. plese enlighten me. what do you carry? what do you like? what do you wish you had? what other misc. info should i know before buying?

·
Registered
157 Posts
What's your budget? Do you have the ability (or desire to learn) how to properly sharpen your knives?

For assisted, Kershaw is king. I don't really like Kershaw for using though. Their designs are cool to play with, but other companies make better user-designed knives.

Good blade steel is key, a lot of knives offer crap for blades and they dull really quickly.

I carry Spyderco. Some of their designs look funky to non knife people, but they are some of the most comfortable, easy to use, and high quality knives out there. All can be opened and closed with one hand, are lightweight, cheap, and easy to sharpen.

For a budget minded every day knife, look into VG10 steel from Spyderco and 154CM from Benchmade. Premium steels include S30V, D2, and others. They will hold and edge a bit longer but are harder to sharpen. The key is to not let them get dull.

Sharpening is super easy with a Spyderco Sharpmaker kit. For about $50, a monkey can make a knife sharp enough to shave with.

For an all around, inexpensive, good user knife I'd buy a Spyderco Delica or Spyderco Native. Wal-Mart sells Natives in S30V steel for $40. Delica's are VG10 steel and run about $50. They are thinner than the Native, but both are great knives. My preference is the Delica. If you want a bit bigger knife, the Spyderco Endura is basically a "Large Delica."

Benchmade makes good knives too. Their Griptilian and Mini Griptilian are great inexpensive folders.

www.newgraham.com is my favorite online vendor.

www.bladeforums.com has a TON of info from knife nuts. Beware though, it's addicting.

Stay away from steels labeled AUS8 and 400 series stainless.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
I had a Benchmade until I lost it. Really nice knife, but the blade didn't have an opener assist. You could still get good with it though. I really like the feel of the plastics used on the handle.

Now I have a SOG Trident. It's really solid, and the open-assist is very fast. I'll get another one for sure *when* I lose this one. The plastic feels cheaper than the Benchmade, but I think the blade is better.

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's your budget? Do you have the ability (or desire to learn) how to properly sharpen your knives?

For assisted, Kershaw is king. I don't really like Kershaw for using though. Their designs are cool to play with, but other companies make better user-designed knives.

Good blade steel is key, a lot of knives offer crap for blades and they dull really quickly.

I carry Spyderco. Some of their designs look funky to non knife people, but they are some of the most comfortable, easy to use, and high quality knives out there. All can be opened and closed with one hand, are lightweight, cheap, and easy to sharpen.

For a budget minded every day knife, look into VG10 steel from Spyderco and 154CM from Benchmade. Premium steels include S30V, D2, and others. They will hold and edge a bit longer but are harder to sharpen. The key is to not let them get dull.

Sharpening is super easy with a Spyderco Sharpmaker kit. For about $50, a monkey can make a knife sharp enough to shave with.

For an all around, inexpensive, good user knife I'd buy a Spyderco Delica or Spyderco Native. Wal-Mart sells Natives in S30V steel for $40. Delica's are VG10 steel and run about $50. They are thinner than the Native, but both are great knives. My preference is the Delica. If you want a bit bigger knife, the Spyderco Endura is basically a "Large Delica."

Benchmade makes good knives too. Their Griptilian and Mini Griptilian are great inexpensive folders.

www.newgraham.com is my favorite online vendor.

www.bladeforums.com has a TON of info from knife nuts. Beware though, it's addicting.

Stay away from steels labeled AUS8 and 400 series stainless.
have have carried knives my whole life, use them on a daily basis...i can sharpen a knife but dont know if i would consider myself a professional as i just get it sharp enough to cut stuff with lol

my budget it about $100, would like to pay less if possible but what a nice, decent size knife that will last a lifetime (or until i lose it lol)

I had a Benchmade until I lost it. Really nice knife, but the blade didn't have an opener assist. You could still get good with it though. I really like the feel of the plastics used on the handle.

Now I have a SOG Trident. It's really solid, and the open-assist is very fast. I'll get another one for sure *when* I lose this one. The plastic feels cheaper than the Benchmade, but I think the blade is better.

the trident is one im looking at right now...and it really has caught my eye

they're typically made to be sharp.
wat?

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i should also mention that i would perfer a "tatical" looking knife as they usually seem to be more durable. although a very "pretty" knife would be great, it will go through abuse.

and as i said, it also must have an open assist...i just think it would be cool and a fun little change for me

·
5,820 Posts
I am pretty sure anything that is assisted is illegal in Michigan to carry, correct me if I am wrong.
it is NOT illegal.... since the user must make the blade move by themself it gets around the way the law is written. the other thing you have to make sure is that the blade is under 3.5" is I remember correcly....

I carry a kershaw 1660CKTST on my every day and I love it, I've had it going on 4 years now and if I ever loose it I'll replace it with the exact same thing. :thumb:

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am pretty sure anything that is assisted is illegal in Michigan to carry, correct me if I am wrong.
i am correcting you. automatic knives are illegal in michigan. these are knives that have a swith or button or some kind of mechinism built into the handle.

open assist knives do not have these. the mechinism is attached to the blade not to the handle. which means you have to physically touch the blade and start to pull it out and the mechinism just finishes the movement for you.

but yes, you are indeed allowed to carry an open assist knife in michigan...infact you can legally carry them in all 50 states i beleive

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it is NOT illegal.... since the user must make the blade move by themself it gets around the way the law is written. the other thing you have to make sure is that the blade is under 3.5" is I remember correcly....

I carry a kershaw 1660CKTST on my every day and I love it, I've had it going on 4 years now and if I ever loose it I'll replace it with the exact same thing. :thumb:
ive been looking into kershaw a lot too. they have SOOO many choices though

oh, and its a 3" blade

·
Registered
157 Posts
my budget it about $100, would like to pay less if possible but what a nice, decent size knife that will last a
Spyderco Military, Paramilitary, or G10 (handle material) Endura. All are about $100, all are flat ground, and all have great blade steel. I carry a Military myself.

The blade steels I mentioned to avoid are softer steel and dull quicker.

Open assist is technically legal, but there are some prosecutors who are vocal about trying to charge somebody with carrying one as an automatic knife. For the extra cool factor, I don't think that's worth it.

If it absolutely must be assisted opening the only one I would buy is a D2 blade steel Kershaw Shallot. I think they're about $70.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
X2, I have the 1660CKTSO, which is a "limited" edition Snap-On version that I won on the truck that came to our shop.

Just like that with "Snap-On" etched into the handle. Great knife, holds an edge very well, has the assist and also has a lock so it doesnt flip open on accident.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts